Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Around the Curve, Beyond the Bend


What do we find around the bend? Williamsburg area. Posted by Picasa

Final Curve
When you turn the corner
And you run into yourself
Then you know that you have turned
All the corners that are left
~ Langston Hughes (1902 - 1967)
Do we ever really know what is around the next bend? I know I would love to know what is coming up and sometimes it seems like we are going along on a day to day basis with all the cogs in the wheels just falling into place and then... life throws us a curve. When that curve hits, it seems like the cogs just grind to a halt and anxiety increases as we suddenly realize what we should have known all along... life is a huge curve, we can never know what is around that next bend. It's an adventure and it is probably best that we only see just a little way in front of us... we couldn't handle all the curves if delivered at one time. Personally, I would be inclined to stay in bed with the heated electric blanket pulled up over my head if I could see the future. Instead I rely on Jeremiah 29:11 ~ "For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." (NLT) This is one of the promises to hang on to tightly when that curve is looming large.

So, how do you handle the curves of life?

(end of post)
Carmi's Theme ~ Curve

4 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I agree with everything!!! Sometimes even the present is so hard to deal with, can you imagine if we knew the future?? We could not handle it. I don't know why people go to fortune tellers and great lengths to try and know the future, I don't want to know. I try to deal with a bend in the road by just focusing on what I have to be thankful for and counting my blessings. That's a lovely picture. Hope you haven't been thrown an unexpected curve!!

Sandra said...

sometimes there are so many curves it is like a roller coaster ride. thank God for the straight moments

colleen said...

It's a great metaphor for life. We don't know what is up ahead and the past is just a memory.

Michelle said...

I tell myself that "this too shall pass" and eat a cookie... not the best strategy I know...Love the photo...