Sunday, July 03, 2005

A Mississippi Moon


Mississippi Moon (Click for larger image) Posted by Picasa
What can we gain by sailing to the moon if we are not able to cross the abyss that separates us from ourselves? This is the most important of all voyages of discovery, and without it, all the rest are not only useless, but disastrous.
~ Thomas Merton
The Mississippi moon; high in the night sky and so far distant, yet seeming close enough to touch with my fingertips. This "almost" full moon, it's bright light producing faint shadows of trees on the ground and yet, cold and stark. This night the moon's light does not remind me of childhood nursery rhymes or comforting songs. Perhaps it is because the air is icy and the light wind is chilled but I think not. This night, with our future so uncertain, my soul is dark. Even the warmest summer moon could not thaw my heart or dissuade my fear.

The winter passed, and now another has come and gone. Is my fear gone? No, but the moon's light has ever been faithful and ever so slowly the thaw of my life begins.

Submitted to Moody Monday for topic "high".

No comments: