Sunday, February 28, 2010

We Need A Little Sunshine

 
Surely, it's time for roses again..... Posted by Picasa

“In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” ~ Albert Camus (French Novelist, Essayist and Playwright, 1957 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1913-1960)

It has been a long winter...here and everywhere it seems. One ten inch snow storm that was amazing for this area, quickly followed by three more... each just an inch; but with cold temperatures continuing and north winds... very, very cold indeed. I tried to plant some bulbs, but the ground was frozen and forget about getting any shrubs in. Even the winter pansies seemed put out by all the extreme weather and looked quite puny. These roses are dormant now, just about ready to be pruned for the new growing season. I miss the yellow blooms and the little green spider that often made his home in the soft petals.

I thought this would be a touch of sunshine to lift my spirits... just in time for Mellow Yellow Monday.

In other news, Nyssa will be defending her master's dissertation soon and graduation is to be May 1st. It looks like she will be off on the doctorate hunt even further away from home.... say, Nevada. They made her an offer of a scholarship and teaching assistantship that she probably can't refuse. The little bird has definitely left the nest... completely and totally.

(end of post)


MellowYellowBadge

11 comments:

Kim said...

What a beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing.

Beverly said...

What a Iovely photo. I can't believe that Nyssa is graduating already.  It seems like she just started.  I'm flying to Charlottesville on Wednesday and on over to W'boro to see Ella the Bella for a week.

debbie said...

I can't wait to see flowers blooming soon.  Happy Mellow Yellow Monday!

Beth Jordan said...

Absolutelly beautiful!

kenju said...

I've been meaning to ask you about Nyssa; it seems like a long time since you mentioned her. Nevada? Oh, mom....do I see a long flight in your future?

I noticed some yellow crocus in my yard today and I need to photograph it tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me!

Angie said...

Great close up!! You want sunshine? We have it here in West Oz & it's HOT.

Anonymous said...

I'm in need of some warmth and roses about now.  Beautiful picture.  Good luck to your daughter.  Sounds like she has lots of exciting things in store.

Kim said...

Love roses most specially the yellow one. Good luck to your daughter. Happy Monday!

3 Beautiful Gnomes

Sara Chapman said...

What a lovely photo of a supremely fragrant (I am sure!) rose. We planted 18 rosebushes last spring and this year hope for a good show.

mizhelle said...

oh my this is so beautiful!

u may view mine here

toraa.blogspot.com said...

It's great to hear about Nyssa and her educational effort.
These days a doctorate will be very much asked for.

Yes, it has been a loooong Winter, but not that unusual, here in Oslo to be.
We have had belowe freezing point every day since X-Mas (except some middays in the past)