Sunday, April 03, 2011

Springtime In Switzerland


A Spring stroll in the park... Geneva, Switzerland

"It was such a spring day as breathes into a man an ineffable yearning, a painful sweetness, a longing that makes him stand motionless, looking at the leaves or grass, and fling out his arms to embrace he knows not what." ~ John Galsworthy, The Forsyte Saga
Springtime in Switzerland, another place I have never been except through the eyes of my brother and his little camera. This shot shows what I love the most about spring... the pale green tiny leaves on the huge trees with dark branching trunks and lacy intertwining limbs. Around here we don't see it so much. There are many maples and these seem to produce their seeds before the leaves come out... they are usually red or orange or even a slight golden color and in some places near our house, the maples all alined almost give the look of fall with their "Spring" colors. The pear and plum trees show up with millions of small white flowers before the leaves and by the time these petals have been blown by the wind into a fine Spring snow on the ground around their feet and covered cars that drive by, the leaves emerge at almost full size. The oaks have yet to push off last years brown dead leaves. No, here we don't have a boulevard to walk under an arch of tiny fresh green leaves.

I remember one tree near the lab where I worked in Mississippi. While I don't know what type of tree it was, it always fascinated me. It was old with a thick dark trunk... almost black, the trunk and limbs. Deep, dark green ivy had spread from the disc around the base, upward, covering the trunk in green year around. In the winter, short as it is there, the black empty limbs gave an architectural look to the corner lot... always with that green ivy showing. But it was most magnificent in Spring, when the light lime green leaves began to emerge. The lime green made the black limbs and branches pop and it blended so finely with the dark green ivy. It was a wonderful collage of greens and black for almost a month, until the leaves were too large and the skeleton of limbs could no longer be seen.. and by then the color of the leaves and the ivy were almost indistinguishable. As summer approached, it was just another tree with its individualistic character now hidden from view until Fall once again came.

Carmi has chosen the theme "land, sea or air" for this week.... whether travel by each or the beauty of each. I chose this for land... spring land... a land I have never walked, but may do so some day. And I thought this was most scenic as well for Scenic Sunday.
(end of post)
Carmi's Theme ~ Land, Sea or Air
Scenic Sunday
Scenic Sunday

11 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I always love seeing other parts of the world from your brother's viewpoint. He is an excellent photographer. I would never have guessed that was Switzerland, more like France to me!!

Sandra Hangey said...

no wonder you said leave the fern alone. it is doing the same thing the ivy did to the tree. it is a goregous fern, that is for sure, but we have to cut it back or it will strangle everything in the yard, we don't kill it just remove it from the things it will kill. this is a wonderful photo of spring, and it always amazes me that photos taken all over the world look just like our world here in the USA.

Ramblingwoods said...

I like the dreamy quality to the photo..perfect for the prose...Michelle

Bob Scotney said...

I've never been to Switzerland only to the border, but parks I like. The photographer has caught the relaxed air admirably.

Vicki said...

I have been to Switzerland in the Spring and it is beautiful!

Credman said...

A dreamy stroll.

Kenju said...

I've been to Zurich, but not Geneva. That photo is beautiful. I love trees that arch over walkways!

Stephanie v said...

I, too, love the lime-green leaves against black trunks. In our case, they are rain-blackened. That's spring to me. The photo is so peaceful - I could be happy walking there.

Swirlgal01 said...

My parents were married in Switzerland! What a lovely stunning walk through trees! Very nice TP post indeed!

Zazumagoo said...

To walk down this walkway would be lovely. Reading your description of so many different trees is splendid. So many folks take for granted the beauty around us. Thank you for a beautiful photo and even more for your words which paint an equally colorful picture.

themuddledmarketplace said...

springtime in Switzeralnd is something that i have experienced and this image brings it right on back
thankyou