Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I Will Not Go Quietly


Summer Orange (Click picture for larger view) Posted by Picasa
"Color which, like music, is a matter of vibrations, reaches what is most general and therefore most indefinable in nature: its inner power..." ~Paul Gauguin
It's autumn and orange is a color of autumn. Yesterday was Halloween; orange is a color of Halloween and pumpkins and candy. But, I didn't choose pumpkins or candy or autumn leaves. (The pumpkins were yesterday.) I didn't choose the crisp, cool fall images.

I decided on a vibrant, searing, eye-popping, flaming hot shade of orange; it brings feelings of the sun beating down on my neck with blinding light and sweltering heat. This flower could cause a sunburn if held too close. Don't get me wrong, I love the colors of fall that swirl and mix together on the mountaintop and sing their chorus; but it is a more muted song with a smoldering heat rather than the blasting flame of a summer furnace. The orange of fall is gently but forcibly guiding us, leading us down that path into the browns and grays of winter; the orange of autumn gives us one last splash of color before nature sleeps. My spirit is just not quite ready to go down that road; so with this flower of summer in my minds hand, I cling to summer with all my might, kicking and screaming. I will not go quietly.

Submission for Lensday topic "orange". (end of post)

No comments: