Thursday, March 19, 2009

Nectar Of The Gods


Ahhhhhhh...coffee...I like a little with my cream.
(Click picture to enlarge)

"Caffeine is my shepherd; I shall not doze.
It maketh me to wake in green pastures:
It leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.
It restoreth my buzz:
It leadeth me in the paths of consciousness for its name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of addiction,
I will fear no Equal™:
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me.
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of The Starbucks:
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
(when I heat in the microwave too long).
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life:
And I will dwell in the House of Mochas forever."
~ Author Unknown

There is nothing like that smell of coffee in the morning.... I came to the way of coffee late in life... at least compared to my brother. I was almost 48 before I developed the taste for what Stephen calls "the nectar of the gods"; and then it was only because I found a local coffee shop that served a heavenly thing called .... "today's flavored coffee" and the day I first tried it, the flavor was.. "creme brulee". I was hooked. Then I found that you could buy the flavored coffee beans and have it at home. Stephen was a child addict. He started pilfering Mom's leftover morning coffee when he was only four or five... when no one was looking. Now, no one dares look at him before that first... or second cup in the morning!

We didn't have a Starbucks in Columbus, Mississippi... in fact, they still don't have one... but when I found it here in Virginia, the "venti white chocolate mocha with a shot of amaretto" became my comfort. Nyssa gave me a gift certificate to Starbucks a couple of Christmases ago and the credit card had my order on the front.... a venti white chocolate mocha with amaretto..... one month later, Starbucks discontinued the amaretto (almond) flavor. I finished out my gift and haven't gone back.

But I have found two online coffee bean providers that have delightful flavored coffee in both decaf and regular. I know the caffeine is not supposed to be good for you but someone once said that "drinking decaf coffee is like kissing your sister".... the caffeine doesn't keep me awake and there are many more other things to make my blood pressure go up these days.. MSNBC is the biggest offender... I avoid that nasty biased network at all times. Just looking at this beautiful creamy liquid makes me calm down considerably.....

I know the purists want only untainted, pristine, dark, black coffee... but not me... leave room for the cream, please!

Carmi's theme for the week is "drinks" and for me, this is as strong as it gets.

(end of post)

No comments: