Monday, March 22, 2010

Can't Get Enough Of Those Daffodils

 
Too late for crocus....the daffodil will have to do.
(Click picture to enlarge)
Posted by Picasa

"Today is the day when bold kites fly,
When cumulus clouds roar across the sky.
When robins return, when children cheer,
When light rain beckons spring to appear.

Today is the day when daffodils bloom,
Which children pick to fill the room,
Today is the day when grasses green,
When leaves burst forth for spring to be seen.
~ Robert McCracken, Spring

I planted twenty crocus bulbs in early March.... too much snow the end of January and frozen ground and... well, just laziness on my part. It isn't easy getting old with the knees and the lack of grace in getting up and down off the ground. That pesky ground gets farther away with each passing year and the knees don't care if the ground is soft... they revolt at the idea of being crawled upon. I try to work when the fewest number of neighbors are around to see... in my bleach spattered sweat pants and sweat shirt with the darker fanny area (because the bleach from pressure washing the old house did not get back there), it is not a pretty sight. I have all of Stephen's shrubs that we got him for Christmas planted. All eight of the rose bushes I planted in November have new growth. Now I just need to see if the butterfly bushes come up. Soon I will get my shipment of the two wisteria vines to plant and train up and onto the trellis area of the sunroom. Also, a few more roses for the rose garden and then some bedding perennials from the seeds I planted in starter boxes this weekend.

As for the crocus, I see two spikes coming up through the mulch... but two out of twenty is a bit sparse. Perhaps next year. The daffodils are doing well though. Isn't it amazing what variety they show... frilly, bicolor, tricolor, simple, complex, pinks, yellows, oranges, white. Now, if those tulips do half as well.

(end of post)

MellowYellowBadge

4 comments:

kenju said...

Those are gorgeous!! You get such good photos of flowers!

Carmi said...

The way you shoot them, neither can I.

peachkins said...

This is a stunning shot! Happy MYM!

Beverly said...

Your photos are beautiful.  of course, there is a beautiful subject, but you do a great job.