Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pansies On Parade

Colorful pansies.... (Click to enlarge) Posted by Picasa

"We still do not know one thousandth of one percent of what nature has revealed to us." ~ Albert Einstein

Carmi's theme this week is "colorful" and at this time of year the color is really coming back outside. The pear trees, redbuds and the glorious tulip magnolias are blooming as are the forsythia. The grass seems to turn more green overnight and one of our small evergreens which takes on a beautiful bronze color for winter has lost it in just days and now sports that lighter, brighter green of spring. The daffodils are outdoing themselves and soon, for those who planted on time unlike myself, the tulips will be springing up.

Then there are the pansies. Around here, the pansy is a winter flower planted in late fall. It seems to weather our usual cold quite nicely. This year with all the unusual snow, they had a much harder time and really are just now coming into their own. It seems a shame that just when they reach the height of their beauty, they are taken up and replaced with the summer impatiens. Oh, well. We have a few more weeks to enjoy at least.

I think I will sneak on over to the Color Carnival as well and get in under the wire for this week.

(end of post)



7 comments:

Beverly said...

They are indeed colorful.  I remember being so impressed with them when I was in university in South Carolina.  They withstood the winter and the ice storms that came along.  To call someone a pansy doesn't quite fit.

kenju said...

I LOVE the purple and orange pansies together. Down here, we leave ours until June, usually.


Re your comment....the star-shaped flowers are white with a pale, pale bluish tint.

Martha said...

Awesome colorful photo for Color Carnival this week! :)

Pamela said...

what..... you take them out?  Oh dear.  Those sweet little pansy faces must be so sad when that happens.

@nemonen said...

Lovely colours I love them. It´s springflowers and they make me happy.

Simply Col said...

Love, love, love your beautiful flowers!!! Wonderful colours! We are still, for the most part, waiting for spring's colour burst.... but I am certainly enjoying yours. :-)

OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

THESE PANSIES ARE GORGEOUS!!!  (I AM USING THE CAPS BECAUSE THIS FONT IS SOOOOO SMALL, I CANNOT SEE WHAT I AM WRITING IF I DON'T...LOL) SPRING IS REALLY SPRINGING, ISN'T IT?  BEAUTIFUL AND SO VERY COLORFUL!