Sunday, April 11, 2010

Golden Sunsets


Pansy mix... Copperfield/Skyline. (Click for larger view) Posted by Picasa

"The beauteous pansies rise
In purple, gold, and blue,
With tints of rainbow hue
Mocking the sunset skies."
~ Thomas John Ouseley, The Angel of the Flowers

The time is short for these lovely flowers as they don't hold up under the hot and humid summers. Soon, they will be unceremoniously ripped from their places and tossed aside. Usually they are replaced by Impatiens, but the same problem exists with them. Both tend not to be at the height of their beauty until just before they are removed. The pansies had a particularly hard winter with all the cold weather and snow and we lost several bunches, but this mixture has been my favorite of all the years. Shades of copper and yellow and apricot along with a few scattered dark maroon red and an occasional purple thrown in. They remind me of the sky at sunset with small fluffy clouds scattering the lingering light of the sun into wild shades of color. Perhaps we have another few weeks with them... a few more sunsets to compare... and enjoy.

(end of post)

MellowYellowBadge

6 comments:

young-eclectic-encounters said...

Pansies are one of my favorite flowers.  I don't plant them because I hate having to pull them up after such a short time.  I just enjoy everybody else's and quite often photograph them.  Yours are certainly gorgeous as is your photo of them. very unusual colors, well captured.  Thank you for sharing them with me.  Johnina :^D

kenju said...

What glorious color!!

Jill said...

beautiful flowers and photo! I love the color, also, so soft!

mizhelle said...

just beautiful :)

u may view mine here

Denise said...

A lovely post, photo and poem.  Thank you so much for sharing it.

colleen said...

<span> </span><span>Spring is a fling of short lived blooms, more about romance than marriage. Crocus and daffodils, my first loves of spring, make a strong impression, but soon I’m feeling fickle and my head turns for tulips.  http://looseleafnotes.com
</span>