Sunday, November 28, 2010

Something Hand Written, Almost History


Citizen posted advertisements ... for jobs and livestock. Colonial Williamsburg.
(Click picture to enlarge)
Posted by Picasa

"The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium." ~ Norbet Platt
Beautifully hand written Christmas cards addressed with style, small notes tucked away between the sandwich and cookies in a loved one's lunch, letters between friends to keep up with happenings far away, hand written signs offering "LEMONADE - 5¢ A GLASS" on a hot summer day; all reminders of a time now long past when things did not move with the speed of digital and "you've got mail" was what your mother said when a card came from Aunt Mary Katherine. Then we watched for the mailman with anticipation. Now there are e-mails, texting, e-cards and all things instantaneously sent back and forth. Technology is "grand", but there is still something to be said for a hand written note or card with neat and lovely penmanship that is special... personal... you can tuck it away in a keepsake box and experience the joy over and over. Yes, there is something warm and endearing about a few words written by hand.

These notes, worn by rain and wind and all the elements appear as they would have in Colonial times.. on a board outside the general store. They are symbols of the Photo Hunt for this week... "written". I also love how the wood grain stands out in the sepia monochrome look.

(end of post)
Saturday Photo Hunt
Carmi's Theme ~ Sepia
Sepia Scenes #111

8 comments:

Randi, Sweden said...

<span>What a great shot, love it!</span>

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are so right! No one writes notes or letters anymore. It is becoming a lost art. I still have many boxes of beautiful stationary, I used to kind of collect them, and then always enjoyed sending them to friends from time to time. I guess the stationary business is about to go bankrupt!

Sandra said...

the photo is wonderful. and the trip back in time is good also. I like the will swap 4 mules for good plough horses. I know daddy used mules, so they must mean those big belguim horses like my husbands grand father used in PA. this really fits the Written theme well.
I laughed and laughed at your comment about Nyssa and her long I sounds. that is so me. when I say eye it sounds like I. and in words with I sound, i drag them out. hubby always makes sure to mimic me with my I sounds. that one thing has not changed at all.

colleen said...

My cork bulletin board looks a little like that, only messier.  I don't get much good mail from the postman much anymore though.  http://looseleafnotes.com

Rambling Woods said...

I know....I raised my daughter to write thank-you notes and she still does...but of course if I wanted to get any kind of regular up-dates, I had to get texting on my phone to get..."Hi Mom..hope you had a good day, I am going to sleep now....I love you.....

Lisa said...

Nice sepia-picture

http://www.blogtown.se/blog.php?date=2010-12-01&id=Lisasfotoblogg

DeLiderata said...

<span>wow, what a creative framing! so much for these papers and the narratives </span>

Brittany D said...

Hello nice blog.