Monday, February 07, 2011

Musical Beds Monday


One of the beds in transit... bringing to mind the statement yelled out by many a child in the morning...
"MOM! I can't make up my bed... the 'insert one' (cat/dog/grandma) is on it!"
Posted by Picasa

"The bed is a bundle of paradoxes: we go to it with reluctance, yet we quit it with regret; we make up our minds every night to leave it early, but we make up our bodies every morning to keep it late." ~ Charles Caleb Colton
Just a short (turned out longer than I expected) post on this VERY busy day. Mom and Dad have a queen sized sleep number bed that they have had for several years and they said they 'loved' it. I have questioned this because on top of this sleep number bed they have put a protective mattress pad, a three inch memory foam mattress pad, a pillowtop mattress pad and a heated mattress pad. In fact, the thickness of the mattress pads has almost equaled the thickness of the mattress itself. How they could ever feel if the sleep number bed did them any good or not... well, I don't know. The bed frame was a modified full size headboard and footboard.. dark cherry and antique, or at least antique now. We have two such bed frames in the house, one was my grandmother's. Hers was not modified and is still a full size with the original slats and is currently in Stephen's room. These are four poster beds and normally the bottom of the frame and therefore, box springs sit about 12 inches off the floor; but when you add the "Princess and the Pea" set up of sleep number mattress and the myriad pads and foam and such.. their bed is 34 inches above the floor.. almost 3 ft. As each additional pad was added the pockets of the sheets became thicker and Dad started building small platforms to step up on to get into the bed. Currently it takes two levels.. a five inch and a ten inch for Mom to get in and Dad had to make himself a six inch one. They are both 82. This is the most insane arrangement I have ever seen.

Finally, Mom decided she wanted to try the Tempurpedic Ergo Adjustable bed with the memory foam mattress and they have ordered one. It is to be delivered tomorrow and set up.. and I have been trying to arrange help to play musical beds...move the sleep number (sans at least three of the pads) up to Stephen's room and the bed in Stephen's room taken apart and moved to the storage unit on the outside chance Nyssa wants an antique bed for a guest room that was once her great-grandmother's. So, I thought they would bring the bed and then call to arrange a time to set it up but, they are going to set it up at the time of delivery. I am in full scramble mode to get help to get this done... at least all the moving parts, before the delivery.

Oh... and they have already started with the mattress pad obsession for the new bed... I hope to be able to at least limit them to one or at most two for each side of the split king this time.. new bed height is said to be 25 inches from the floor... no steps required. And the headboard and footboard for the new bed? The company assures me that we can just add this around the outside of the bed later... I certainly hope so..

But I must think about it. I must think about it. What is there to do? Oh I can't think about this now! I'll go crazy if I do! I'll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day! *

(end of post)
*Borrowed and rearranged from Gone With The Wind

8 comments:

Sandra said...

it is hurting me thinking about all you have to do to Handle this! wow, a lot of work. i love love love the photo

colleen said...

I love my bed but I had to return the first one because it was too high. Today they make mattresses that you need a ladder to scale.  

I love the poetry of the black shapes against the white background in your photo.  http://looseleafnotes.com

kenju said...

I don't envy you all that. Maybe the guys who set up the new bed will help you move the other ones.

I would suggest to your parents that they try out the new bed for a week or so before they add any mattress pads except maybe the heated one. I have one of those and I never want to be without it again!

kenju said...

I don't envy you all that. Maybe the guys who set up the new bed will help you move the other ones.

I would suggest to your parents that they try out the new bed for a week or so before they add any mattress pads except maybe the heated one. I have one of those and I never want to be without it again!

Abby said...

I remember the last time we got a new sleep number bed....it didn't quite go according to plan. So I hope your bed experience is much better than ours was!

Chibi Janine said...

Beds I must say the best buy I ever made was purchasing a reflex foam mattress, my problem is getting pillows that stay fluffed up fiber pillows just never seem to last as long a feather but as I get older my allergies get worse so feathers are a no no now. Don't get me started on the trying to get my toddler going to bed Argh.

Hope the bed manouvers go to plan and that overall new bed height doesn't get to silly :)

Ginny Hartzler said...

We have a Sleep Nunber, not even two years old! Don't get me started! I know why they needed all that stuff on top!!! People are split on the memory foam. I hate it, and like regular foam better. My DIL's mom has one and she adores it!! Let us know how the saga continues!! I am now totally hooked! I have been meaning to do a post on my Sleep Number ever since we got it, but other posts keep happening...

Lori said...

This looks heavenly.  And I am totally jealous!  I have missed reading here, and could spend all day perusing and catching up on all of your glorious photos and words.  Wish we could sit a spell and catch up....my days are a bit of a blur as of late.  I look forward to getting back in the groove and spending time here once again.

Blessings....