Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Singularly Mysterious After All These Years


I see the moon, the moon sees me....... Posted by Picasa

"There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim
Would the moon be as mysterious if we had more than one orbiting around the earth? Spectacular moonrises every night, to be sure, but what would the tides do? Would they both be "silvery" or would one be red or amber? Would the two moons be in different orbits or at different stages at different times of the month? Surely, the physics of the whole thing would be vastly different. And that singular thing about the moon that is most precious.... the fact that I can see its face on one side of the continent and know that my lovely daughter can see the same moon, at the same time on the other side of the continent...well, that would probably be lost or more difficult to be sure of with two moons in the night sky. For me, the reflected light of that singular silvery moon embodies more than enough mystery for a lifetime......I say we keep it, as is...
"I see the moon
The moon sees me
Down through the leaves of the old oak tree
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love.

Over the mountains
Over the sea
Back where my heart is longing to be
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love."
~ Unknown
(end of post)
Carmi's Theme ~ Singles

7 comments:

kenju said...

Great photo!  Throughout my life, I have often speculated about who was looking at the moon at the same time I was.

kenju said...

Great photo!  Throughout my life, I have often speculated about who was looking at the moon at the same time I was.

Sandra said...

great moon shot, i have yet to get a decent shot of the moon

Ginny Hartzler said...

A post both sweet and thought provoking at the same time! And what a fabulous picture of the moon!!! Oh, two posts today?

Carmi said...

The moon never fails to draw my attention skyward. Doesn't matter what I'm doing...as soon as I first get outside, I naturally look for it. And it always makes me feel a little safer when I see it. A bit of a celestial touchstone, if you will.

And I wonder if we'll ever go back. I do hope so.

Love this shot. And totally concur with you: One's more than enough. Just thinking about how complex the tides would be if we had more than one is enough to make me dizzy :)

colleen said...

I write poetry about the moon more than anyother subject.  I posted on Facebook yesterday:  A lightbulb is a moon wannabe. http://looseleafnotes.com

Sandra said...

regina from Hawaii says that red leaf plant is a tea plant. it is at Selby gardens. i just liked the color like flames in the sunshine. the fern in my ard grows wild and takes over. the doves stay year round but due to an over abundance in 3 preserves close to our house, of hawks and Eagles they have wiped out all our doves and song birds. this little dove is the first i have seen since last summer. we hope they come back. i love them