Thursday, September 02, 2010

Just A Little Too Far From The Ocean


Would you want this mailbox next door to you?Posted by Picasa

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." ~ Theodore Geisel
Ginny at Let Your Light Shine had a post today of beautiful and unusual mailboxes. It reminded me of this mailbox I ran across several years ago while looking at houses for my brother. This was a high end neighborhood with gorgeous homes, most being out of our league at the time.... and then we stumbled across this fellow. He is a perfectly formed dolphin and cute as dolphins tend to be; but a mailbox? What sort of house has a dolphin mailbox? A large white brick two story house. I just wonder what the neighbors think.

About Earl: We have been under a tropical storm warning for two days. I have spent the time taking down all the birdfeeders so we don't have broken poles and scattered seed everywhere. I moved the container patio plants to places of shelter and tied down the hot tub lid. I emptied the birdbaths and moved them and Stephen took the umbrella off the patio set before he left. Even the wind chimes came down.

I also took 35 more tiny Monarch caterpillars to the botanical gardens. The butterfly garden supervisor wanted them to raise for release on September 25th. They will be tagged and released and sent on their way to Mexico. I still have 70 in their chrysalides and another ten to fifteen that are big but still feeding on the last two milkweed plants I have. Both groups are safe and out of the weather.

Of course, the hurricane will bypass us. If we get an inch of rain out of it, I will be glad. So far our highest wind gust was 8 mph.... Nor'Ida last November caused us more trouble than Earl. As of last night, however, I was getting a bit nervous.... those winds were getting closer and closer to shore. I think we are going to dodge another bullet.

(end of post)

7 comments:

kenju said...

I think you're right - and aren't we glad of that!!?

Ginny Hartzler said...

I so hope the hurricane will miss you...we do not live that far apart. I love the dolphin, and I love whimsy. Some of these very formal straight laced homes could use a little lightening up. They cost so much and are such a responsibility that the owners tend to take themselves far too seriously. This is what I call classy whimsey. The neighbors should be thankful that there are no pink flamingos. Thanks for mentioning my blog. When you mentioned this, I right away wished I could see it and wondered why you had never posted it. Or maybe you had but it was before I followed you.

srp said...

I have a lot of pictures I haven't had the occasion to post.  Several are really funny.. perhaps I should do a few "caption this" posts.  I thought the dolphin was cute and don't have a picture of the house... but it just really didn't fit the house.

Scarlet said...

Good luck riding out Earl! I hope he affects you as little as possible!

Sandra said...

I am always happy to dodge a hurricane bullet, we have dodged a few down here in FL. hope you get some rain though. we have mailboxes here, lots of them, but they are manatees not dolphins. very similar to this one. i say whatever floats your boat, if they like it, forget the neighbors. here we have sub divisions that are deed restricted and ones that are not. the people who don't like thing slike this live in the deed restricted and the ones like me who don't care, live in on deed restricted. that way we can all be happy.

Beverly said...

I'm glad it seems that you will be spared Earl.  The getting ready, just in case, does take time, though, doesn't it.  As Sandra said, we have lots of manatees around here, especially since we are in Manatee County.

I know you're going to miss Stephen.  I was thinking about you all the other night and how you say you laugh a lot around the dinner table.  That's always a good sound.

Michelle from Rambling Woods said...

Ok...I had to use IE instead of firefox to get the comment box to appear....I'm glad that Earl isn't going to present you any problems. My sister lives outside of Richmond and they are always losing power so they keep their generator ready..Here  (NY) we just sit and complain in the dark...

I kind of like the mailbox..it is a bit heavy handed...but maybe the intentions were good...

Thank you for the e-mail. I am so happy to see one monarch here. There is a lot of common milkweed all around these ponds, but people are so nuts that they all have to mow and cut it down for the complete suburban experience....I have some and have planted more. Now to work on the nectar plants and some more caterpillar plants.  This really is a new thing for me and there is nothing more dangerous than a well intentioned person with little knowledge so I am trying to learn from others who do know....

Interesting occupation you have...one of my husband's friends is a pathologist and I remember getting very annoyed with him when I turned 35 and he told me I was now in middle age...but now I am really on my way out of it so......smile...Michelle