Monday, September 18, 2006

Mom's Birthday Bash


Steinhilber's Restaurant. (Click picture for larger view) Posted by Picasa
"There are three hundred and sixty-four days when you might get un-birthday presents ... and only one for birthday presents, you know." ~ Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)
Last Thursday was my mom's birthday. Dad and I took her to her favorite restaurant Steinhilber's, where we all had The Original Steiny's Fantail Fried Shrimp, large... no, huge...... no, gigantic shrimp in a light, almost tempura batter. She and Dad had fried oysters for an appetizer and I had the Lobster Bisque. It was fabulous, as always.

She wanted dessert but we talked her out of it. She had too much bread already with the dinner and hasn't been very good about checking her diabetes recently. So we piled back in my van and started back home. But of course Dad and I already had something up our collective sleeves. I dropped him off at a corner in the Town Center area and proceeded to drive around and around and around the block..... over and over. Finally, there he was. Mom kept asking where he was going and I kept telling her she would have to wait and see. As I retrieved my dad, he handed her a box with the words... The Cheesecake Factory.... on the side. She loves cheesecake more than any other sweet, except perhaps chocolate. They make a 6 CARB ORIGINAL CHEESECAKE™ she can actually eat.

The flowers? They arrived early in the day, from her loving son in Europe. She says that he told the florist what to put in the bouquet... yellow roses and sunflowers with some form of flowering greenery in the background....also yellow. I hope it isn't goldenrod or some other thing to make me sneeze. On rare occasions my brother will actually comment here, so here they are Stephen; beautiful job dude and hey, you remembered this year without any prompting! I am impressed!



All in all, it was a good day!

(end of post)

No comments: