Monday, September 04, 2006

The Pretender


Hosta bloom & ant...."Peek-a-boo, I see you!"
(Click picture for larger view)
Posted by Picasa
"The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh (1926- )
The hosta in bloom; its miniature flower, a pretender. I once mistook this flower for a lily, until I saw the black ant peeking out from the center petal. The plant is best known for its rounded shape and love of shade; the tall stems with rows of tiny flowers seem a gangly afterthought. But up close, the blooms are as exquisite as any lily or rose. The petals are white to pale lavender with translucent edging and a "wet look", enhanced by beads of morning dew glistening in the sun. What ant, or fly, or even bee could resist this tiny wonder; so beautiful, yet so soon faded?

Summer is quickly becoming fall. I see it in my pumpkins. (A tease for the "Great Pumpkin Epic", coming soon.) I feel it in the night air, at last. Many gorgeous flowers have come and gone this summer with only a fraction ending up here on this site. I've done that on purpose; save them, for dreary rainy day posts of fall; for something colorful to brighten the bleak gray of winter. This way they are able to bloom year 'round....in my camera, in my mind.

(end of post)

No comments: