Monday, January 17, 2011

People Who Have The Most Birthdays Live The Longest


The "??th" anniversary of my 30th birthday. Posted by Picasa

"You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoes and wonder what else you can do while you're down there." ~ George Burns
I was trying to get through the anniversary of my birthday with as little fanfare as possible... then Judy spilled the beans on Facebook and floods of "happy birthdays" flowed in. So.. with much gratitude at such an outpouring of well wishes.. I say "Thank You!" You notice that I don't celebrate my birthday, but rather the anniversary of my birthday... my 30th birthday. I won't reveal what anniversary we are up to now, but let's just say that in a few, a very few years I will have to start celebrating the anniversary of the anniversary of my 30th birthday. Why 30th? Oh, I don't know.. it just seems like a nice round young number.

Laziness was the theme this year. I slept through half of it, but then my cousin David was on Skype the night before and we talked about everything for a very long time and it was almost time to get up before I finally went to bed and at my age, well.. you really need those eight hours of sleep. My brother called from Vienna, jet lagged from a 14 hour flight and with a cold from rabid fans in Japan. When Daisy and I finally dragged our ragged bodies down stairs I found two beautiful arrangements... one from my baby girl, Nyssa and one from my brother. Yellow roses and sunflowers to brighten the day from Stephen and an edible arrangement of the sweetest strawberries you have ever tasted in January, bananas dipped in white and milk chocolate, sweet red grapes and mellon balls. Oh, yes... flower shaped pineapple with melon ball centers as well and in such a cute teal green vase. I took pictures of the fruit and a good thing I did too... I ate them... all of them and they were great! The roses and sunflowers are still brightening the winter days... we had a bit of sun on Saturday but now clouds and rain are on the way for this evening. Still cold.

Mom decided to take Dad and I out to a fancy restaurant, The Vintage Tavern, for our birthday celebrations. You know it is a fancy restaurant when the first thing they do is exchange the perfectly good tan napkins for black napkins because you are wearing dark skirts or pants and you might get fuzz from the napkins on your clothes. It was an amazing meal... the menu is seasonal. So we had oyster stew, salad...watercress greens with fennel, sweet grapefruit centers, blood oranges and goat cheese with a creamy pomegranate dressing..broiled flounder over soft onion spoonbread with capers and cream sauce and sauteed mushrooms. At least, that is what I had. Dad had some of their gourmet mac 'n cheese as well and Mom had scallops, special cooked spinach and her scallops were over grits and with an orange puree that I think had carrot in it. We shared a creme brulee for desert. Mom paid the bill...she said this was Dad's birthday meal too, even though his will not be until February. We left the restaurant in what could only be described as somewhere between a waddle and a roll and I was still not hungry again well into Sunday afternoon.

So, thanks to all who helped make the "??" anniversary of my 30th birthday a raging success. At this age a success means you lived through it. Now, we continue... and another 12 months before we have to face it again.
"We've reached an age that when construction workers stare at us it's because they figure we might be considering a remodeling job." ~ Susan McClellan
(end of post)
MellowYellowBadge



15 comments:

ChiIL Mama said...

There are tee shirts in Chicago that say "I'm the oldest I have ever been"..........   Fun post.

kenju said...

I am glad I spilled the beans, SRP. Your dinners sounds great. I have never know a restaurant to substitute black napkins but I love that idea and wish more places would do it. Your flowers were lovely and the fruit sounds so good!! Nice to know you had a good birthday.

kenju said...

I am glad I spilled the beans, SRP. Your dinners sounds great. I have never know a restaurant to substitute black napkins but I love that idea and wish more places would do it. Your flowers were lovely and the fruit sounds so good!! Nice to know you had a good birthday.

Carletta said...

Happy Birthday!
Love the captured light in each photo.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I didn't know it was your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! You got the prettiest gifts, I'm so glad you took pictures and showed us! So now you have given us a gift on your birthday! That restaraunt sounds really fancy!! Did you have to dress formal? A memory to last forever, the food sounds yummy.  Did you want to take pictures for the blog? Can you just imagine the very formal waiters aplomb being shattered if you dragged your camera out and began snapping?? The thoght makes me laugh, I guess I'm easily amused. Well, you know the old saying. Why get upset about your birthday? The alternative is not to have one.

Abby said...

It sounds like it was a lovely anniversary of your birthday!
And many many more!!

Beverly said...

Well, you know FaceBook posts friends' birthdays on the day, so we don't forget.  But just think, you'll never catch up to me and Judy.

Leora said...

Happy Birthday!

"<span>You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoes and wonder what else you can do while you're down there" - for some reason, this makes me think of my father and how maybe he could get a little more done if he would think this way... or maybe not.  Anyway, it made me laugh.
</span>

Liz said...

Love the fruit bouquet! My

RUBY link

Michelle@RamblingWoods said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY....I am glad that it was a "happy day" and many...many more....Michelle

luna miranda said...

the -- anniversary of your 30th birthday!  this is the most fun thing i've learned today.:p  i'd probably adapt this as well. (hehe)  love the George Burns quote, too.

Robin from Israel said...

Happy ???th birthday! Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate - that edible bouquet is fabulous and your dinner sounds delicious.

<p><span><span>-----------------------------------</span></span>
<span><span><span>My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!</span></span></span> </p>

Hootin' Anni said...

I guess those born on February 29th then, are S O L!!

My Ruby Tuesday Link

http://hootin--anni.blogspot.com/2011/01/blog-post.html

Hope you are having a glorious day!!!

sandra said...

ilove the quote, so true and made me smile. i would love to have both your flowers, i love sunflowers and fruit. you were blessed for sure on your BD anniversary. when my dad died, my co workers sent a fruit boquet and it was wonderful for my family. flowers and food, nothing better

Bobkat said...

I popped by a couple of days ago but was unable to leave a comment... so many happy but belated returns. It sounds like you had a lovely birthday anniversary : )