Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Rosemary For Remembrance


Rosemary and holly...Colonial Williamsburg Christmas spray. Posted by Picasa

"Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour. " ~ John Boswell
I was strolling through my Christmas pictures from Colonial Williamsburg and down the lane lined with memories associated with each one. This particular arrangement had been passed by and passed over many times without a pause to study or reflect on its beauty. Perhaps it was that this was the first summer past that I had really gardened at our new house or perhaps I simply had not noticed the rosemary before, thinking the greenery, often overlooked, was simply some other form of evergreen... at any rate, the rosemary suddenly lunged out of the screen and grabbed me.

The Colonial Williamsburg wreaths are all made of natural materials that grow in the area... except for the pineapples, I think they ship them in and did so even in Colonial times. I'm used to seeing wreaths of pine and fir and even magnolia leaves but it never occurred to me that rosemary would make such a lovely arrangement. I planted a bush rosemary and an upright rosemary in the flowerbeds and in a patio pot this summer and have discovered that they thrive in the cooler temperatures of fall and even winter. When most of the other plants have lost their color, the rosemary, sage, parsley and even the fennel (minus the black swallowtail caterpillars) has weathered the cold and the snow.

More sturdy than the fine feathery yarrow leaves and yet more delicate than the stiff and sticky fir, the rosemary finds that balance to support the strawflowers, red holly berries, lotus pods, golden yarrow and that one dried artichoke in the center. I think it is a lovely spray and what a heavenly fragrance as well. Rosemary is considered the herb of remembrance; how could I have passed it over so many times?
"As for rosemary, I let it run all over my garden walls, not only because my bees love it but because it is the herb sacred to remembrance and to friendship, whence a sprig of it hath a dumb language." ~ Sir Thomas More
(end of post)

6 comments:

Beverly said...

That is very lovely.  I never would have thought of using rosemary in an arrangement.

Ginny Hartzler said...

<span>The flower arrangement is beautiful! Williamsburg has things like this that are so unusual, you don't see anywhere else. I didn't know all these facts about why rosemary is good. I continue to have trouble cooking with it, though. It won't ever soften up and stays as sharp as toothpicks. Guess I'm doing something wrong...it is such a romantic herb. </span>

Sandra said...

I love strolling through my own photos, and am glad you took that stroll. this is goregous. my niece spent 3 days in Colonial Williamsburg the week before Christmas. she lives  in PA

kenju said...

I love the smell of rosemary and have been known to rub it on my neck and arms so I can keep it with me. I have 2 bushes of it and I used to use it in flower arrangements and bridal bouquets all the time!

EG Wow, Canada said...

The rosemary is very pretty in this arrangement. I would LOVE to grow rosemary in my garden but the winters are too cold here for it to survive. So I grow it in a pot where it survives the winter in my unheated sunroom. I love the aroma of the leaves!

Rambling Woods said...

I love this and knew nothing about them...I wonder if I could grow rosemary here..I will have to look into that....we are a little warmer than where EG is from....Michelle