Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tuesday's Tumbling Tummy

"When you are looking, a cat acts like a princess, but the minute they think you are not looking, a cat acts like a fool."
~ K. C. Buffington

The "tickle my tummy with your toes" pose.
(Click pictures for larger view)

Hello, my name is Maggie... actually it is Magnolia Blossom but that is so cumbersome. My dad sometimes calls me Maggot... and that is just rude! I am a princess and spoiled and usually get my own way. Today I am mortified! That lady who my people tell me is my human sister, the one who brought those six heathen cats into my house to take over.... WELL! She took pictures of me while I was practicing for the Cat Olympics. Yes, you heard me! The Cat Olympics! I compete in gymnastics... specifically the floor exercise!


My warm up stretching pose.

These are my stretching exercises. It is so important to warm up those muscles before any strenuous exertion; we wouldn't want any of those awful claw cramps or tail spasms during our event. So, here we go now. Stretch the front paws out as far as we can and make our legs longer, first one then the other. Do the same with the back legs, each one stretching. Don't forget the tail.... did you know that many an Olympic event was lost simply due to inadequate tail and leg warm ups? Hmmpf! Even people know that much!


My floor exercise, with sound effects.

My floor exercise consists of several flips and turns and twists, with a lot of rapid wiggles and the occasional forward roll. My back legs are kept in the V-shaped kangaroo fight position at all times, if possible. I have incorporated a variety of forward lunges and jabs in the mode of Rocky Balboa and for effect, I add a few snarls and bare my fangs! My mom told me to "smile" at the audience but... everyone smiles; I wanted to do something so the judges would remember me!


My humble victory pose. Posted by Picasa

Of course the floor exercise must be done on one's back with tummy exposed from starting introduction to final bow, even to acceptance of the winning trophy. A true athlete never tucks tail or buries her belly. When the crowd cheers and the judges hold up those perfect "10's" across the board and the flower petals and kitty treats are raining down from the bleachers; the champion places her paw demurely over her mouth and blows kisses to her fans. Yes, for the athletic cat... humility is next to impossible!

Miss Maggie is tumbling right on over to Cats on Tuesday, hosted by gattina. She will be showing off her athletic tummy at Tummy Tuesday over at catstuff.

Update: Maggie is a Ragdoll cat with the same markings as my Lady Willow. They have different faces and personalities and Maggie belongs to my parents. She is not that fond of me and usually runs when I get the camera. This day she must have been on something.... I managed to get off at least ten shots of her gymnastics before she had enough. Perhaps she just wanted to be included on Friday's Ark hosted by the Modulator or she wanted to show off for the cats at the Carnival of the Cats. The carnival is hosted this week by Catymology. (end of post)

No comments: