Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Nature's Candy Canes

"In joy or sadness, flowers are our constant friends."
~ Kozuko Okakura
We have daylily and Easter lilies; why not have varieties called "Christmas" or "Peppermint" or "Candy Cane"? This one grows in the beautiful gardens of the Jackson family, here in Hampton Roads.

"To analyze the charms of flowers is like dissecting music; it is one of those things which it is far better to enjoy, than to attempt to fully understand." ~ Henry T. Tuckermanz
A frilly female in red and white looks ready for the music to begin, ready to be off to the dance, decked out in ruffles and lace. Do you suppose her date has a matching cumberbund?

"In my garden there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful." ~ Abram L. Urban
Freckled geranium blossoms in a most unusual color. Usually we see red or white but personally, I love these, with their splashes and sprinkles of the two intermixed. They remind me of a variety of African violet I used to grow, with lavender flowers splashed with blue and pink.

"Flowers have a mysterious and subtle influence upon the feelings, not unlike some strains of music. They relax the tenseness of the mind. They dissolve its vigor." ~ Henry Ward Beecher
Surely this would be a Candy Cane Tulip, with red and white stripes and the sun shining through the fluttering petals. It looks luscious enough to eat!

I am sure there are many more "candy canes" in the flower world, these are but a few. Perhaps these beauties are not edible, but they certainly are eye candy!!!

News: My mom's knee is doing much better and after a week and two days back in the hospital, she was transferred back to rehab yesterday. I don't think she lost that much in the rehab arena during her hospitalization and I know the pain issue will be much less this time around.

As for my brother's house (that we will all live in), the final walk through is today at 12:30 pm. I only have one set of eyes, but do have the list from the home inspector to go over. Since I have been there several times, I have already looked at a lot of the things on the list and so far, so good. The loan packet has been completed and is to be at the title company this morning as is the survey. Closing is set for 10 AM on Friday. Hopefully, by the end of the day today I will have been able to arrange for my furniture in storage to be delivered on Monday and for the fence company to meet me tomorrow for an estimate and layout. I have to get the plans to the homeowner's association for approval by their meeting date next week!

There! Did I forget to say that my brother, Stephen, is in full swing of rehersals for The Ring Cycle at the Wagner Festival in Bayreuth, Germany? I have his power of attorney for the house, Dad has it for the cashier's check for the closing and he won't even get to be here for the momentous occasion.... or the gut wrenching two days before! As soon as the keys are transferred, I will be putting in a call to the new home owner...... send cash! (wink!)

As this is my sanity outlet... I hope to return later today! But for now....

(end of post)

No comments: