Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Daffodil Season


A late season for daffodils...Norfolk Botanical Garden Posted by Picasa

"A house with daffodils in it is a house lit up, whether or not the sun be shining outside." ~ A.A. Milne

The weather has been strange this year. It has been warm in winter and cold in spring... the daffodils have bloomed and most are now gone, but not this daffodil. While the tulips take over the botanical garden, this daffodil is hanging in there.

Of course, there is my flowerbed. I planted daffodils this year, but not in November when the package instructed me to do so. Never being one to actually follow planting instructions completely, I waited until the last of February, first of March. Why? Well, my reasoning was this... we live by the coast where winters are sporadic, often mild and it can be in the 60's in December and January is usually the coldest month. If I plant them in November, the warm sun and mulch covering and the spring like December temps will produce early germination... then, just when the small plants emerge.. a severe cold snap will kill them. So, my solution is to wait until late February or early March to plant. I know this is insane... but I did it. Sure enough.. everyone else with daffodils had pretty yellow flowers when mine were not yet peeking through the mulch. But, I may have the last laugh... here it is mid-April and we have cold 45 degree rain, headed for a 36 degree low and in a few days, when the 70's are back in vogue, we may actually have yellow sunshine blooming out front. Better late than never, I suppose.

Carmi's
photo theme for this week is "floral".

(end of post)

No comments: