Wednesday, June 08, 2011

I Spoke Too Soon!


Unruly Urchin.... makes me utterly upset!!! Posted by Picasa

"In such a strait the wisest may well be perplexed, and the boldest staggered." ~ Edmund Burke, Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents
I spoke too soon! This unruly urchin and his union of urban outlaws have gotten the upper hand again. The ultrasonic device I urged folks to use is utterly useless and unproductive in its appointed undertaking. OK. I really cannot think of many more "U" words and it makes my head ache.... my thesaurus is about to go up in smoke. I recommended an ultrasonic squirrel and animal repelling machine by a company called Bird-X. At first, it seemed to be unbelievably (I did it again) effective and thwarted the critters for over a week. But then, I re-filled the bird feeders and they simply came back. Occasionally, I see where they have knocked it over to a face down position and other times, they simply stand in front of it and laugh hysterically at me watching them from the window. But now it is WAR! I caught one on the deck munching on one of my small tomatoes.... I am afraid that my brother is right...these squirrels have to depart, scram, vamoose... one way or the other.

(end of post)
ABC Wednesday ~ "U"










Nature's Notes

15 comments:

Sandra Hangey said...

maybe i can get my friend Bruce and Sylvester to contract out to you to get rid of the cute little monsters. great photo of the little pest. wish i could see the steam coming out of your ears. daddy fought them all my life growing up, that and moles in the ground and birds to were always eating his garden.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the picture! Your writing is funny, we have been having squirrel trouble, too. My friend traps them in cages and carts them 25 miles away, along with assorted chipmunks. Under 25 miles and they will come back.

rogerogreen said...

ungrateful beast!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Ramblingwoods said...

They don't go after the plants here..I leave out cracked corn during the day...bring it in at night due to raccoons....I will see if any of my birdy friends have a suggestion....Michelle

Carver said...

He's terribly cute to declare war on. I know they can become a problem but maybe if you put out food on the ground like dried corn just for the squirrels it will help.

OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

And he looks like such a sweet fella....(WRONG!...I guess!)  It is a great picture!  I wish I had a really good suggestion of how to get rid of him and his friends, but I don't.  Good Luck! It's UNBELIEVEABLE.....

EG Wow said...

Squirrels are extremely wily, aren't they?  You need a baffle of some sort, one the squirrels can't reach around to climb on top of. My husband recycled a wok purchased at a garage sale, cut a hole in it the same size as the pipe the feeder is on, turned it upside down and... unfortunately I don't know how he  keeps the wok from slipping down the pipe and he's in bed asleep and it's dark outside. lol  I do know it works though and has for several years. :)

Book_Scorpion said...

The native squirrels here are much less of a problem for some reason - but sadly they will slowly be wiped out by the grey squirrels introduced to Italy. I hope you can find a way to keep the squirrels away.

Kenju said...

Good luck with that, SRP. The squirrels around here are not afraid to come onto my deck even with there are cats around. Cheeky little devils!

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh but it's so cute!

Stephanie V said...

Ah, squirrels!  Such wily rodents - and so determined to get the birds' food.  We have foiled them by putting the feeder on a 5 foot post (4x4) in the middle of the garden.  Thus no trees for launching pads to the pole.  Then we put a stove pipe around the post - they can't climb this as it's too wide and slippery for their claws.  This hasn't stopped them trying but so far we haven't had any successful raids.  It's been good for more than 5 years.  Knock wood.

Hocam said...

Wonderful capture, though not in reality. He looks cute but cheeky. Pity you have to declare war on them, but understandable.

Arija said...

All things in good measure but too much is too much. I have experienced that this year too.
I would love a pair of squirrels because they are such great entertainment but not by the dozen.
Good luck!!

Mymaracas said...

I too take umbrage at the unwanted incursions of these unrepentant undesirables. You are upset - which is utterly understandable. Unfortunately, I fear your war is unwinable. 

Love your blog.
;-)

Eileen3600 said...

Oh, he is hanging on tight! Great capture!