Thursday, October 14, 2010

Autumn Serenity


Autumn serenity. Williamsburg, VA.
(Click picture to enlarge)
Posted by Picasa

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." ~ John Muir (Scottich born American naturalist, 1838 - 1914)
I have to admit that this photo is in my archives from a few years back, just unused. While many northern areas are in the full throws of Autumn color, we are simply suffering with the effects of a very hot summer and less rain in August than usually seen. And while we have the occasional colorful autumn display in one or two trees, the usual turn of events is a yellowing of the green leaves followed by drying and shriveling and browning and then a gust of wind and they fall. Two of our small, contractor-installed-at-the-building-of-the-house maple trees suffered more than the others this summer. The last week in September their leaves did the dance of capitulation and left.... one partially and the other, completely. Still, the trees in the preserve are green with a polka dot touch of gold here and there.

It has amazed me that just a 45 minute drive northwest to Williamsburg will reveal amazing color. Not just at this moment though, the height of color is a bit later in late October and early November. This was taken at a small little out of the way park... College Park. There is water and a small walking deck extending out into the waterway and a place to put in kayaks. The geese float slowly over the water as the fluffy seeds of cattails fly through the air. It is an amazingly peaceful place with smooth waters reflecting the sky and at the pinnacle of Autumn, the blazing glory of the trees. After reviewing these photos, I may have to make a special trip up to Williamsburg in a couple of weeks, just to see if the color is as magnificent this year!

(end of post)
Thursday Challenge ~ "Peaceful"

10 comments:

kenju said...

WOW! What a gorgeous photo. I can't believe you've never shown it here before.

Beverly said...

That is such a beautiful photo.  Ginny said that even in Waynesboro the leaves are browining and falling.  That makes me said.  I guess I'm selfish and want to be able to say that I saw beautiful fall colors.  I'll be up that way the next two weeks.  I would love to see you if possible.  I'll give you a call.

Abby said...

Roxanne
This is an absolute stunner!

Scarlet said...

The colours are amazing! One thing I miss about living in the tropics is seeing the dramatic changes in seasons that can be seen in other parts of the world. Beautiful!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I cannot believe how stunning that picture is! No matter how long the trip, this would be worth it!

sandra said...

it appears the color is washing off the trees and into the water, absolutely gorgeous

Inger-M said...

That's a breathtaking picture! Amazing colors! 

Col said...

Wow... amazing photo... amazing colours.

Michelle From Rambling Woods said...

I was going to use that very quote on my autumn lake photo but I know I had used to before. I love Muir and I believe in that quote so very much...my butterfly weed plants have fluffy pods. I feel as though I have given birth as they are all new as of this summer.....

colleen said...

I want to float like a leaf on the pond.