Friday, July 13, 2007

Runners And Room-Size


The den, or "keeping room"....
"I will not play tug o' war.
I'd rather play hug o' war.
Where everyone hugs instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles and rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses, and everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles, and everyone wins."
~ Shel Silverstein (American poet, 1930-1999)
The furniture came... six crates of it and only three pieces that I actually forgot I had. So not too bad. The North American Moving Company branch in Mississippi packed it and put it in storage. Then six months into our affiliation, the owner decided to retire and no one wanted to buy the business, so he closed it. Therefore I paid for them to bring the whole business here where Harrison's kept it in storage until they delivered it yesterday. Only a few dings, except for my old cherry dresser; the fellows showed me how another heavy piece had been packed on top of it with ONLY a piece of paper between them. A pad would have prevented the half-dollar size gouge in the top. Of course, since the company has been out of business for two years now, there is no recourse for damages. Perhaps it could be repaired, although this set has been through a lot of moves... it is the one I used as a child and teenager.

Mom asked if I took any pictures of the rooms that NOW have furniture.... but both yesterday and today I worked until the light was gone and forgot to take light bulbs for the lamps. I did find more of the cushions and bedding and lamps today.... lamp shades do not store well, they move fine but store poorly... yellowing badly. So back to Garden Ridge... Naomi asked where these rugs came from... Garden Ridge. I think they have stores in thirteen states, but Oklahoma and Texas are as far west as they go. The carpets are always changing and the highest price is $199. The one above is another 10 x 13 foot room size in the "keeping room". Another 5 x 8 foot rug will have to go in the walk area between this one and the wide kitchen counter.... maybe someday a few tall barstools there.


Regal runner....
I moved some of the smaller rugs and runners around since I took the pictures. This one is now in front of the front door... I love the colors, they look so rich and regal.


From hallway to entry.... fit for music. Posted by Picasa
This one was in the hallway but I found it fit nicely in the large entryway; the perfect size at around 4'6" x 6'8" for the space I selected for the piano. It is perfect there and now the grandfather clock is alongside. Tomorrow..... a visit from the Maytag man..... and more boxes and lifting and sifting... but... Nyssa comes to help!!!! YEAH!!!!

(end of post)

No comments: