Saturday, March 07, 2009

Something Old


Colonial transparency.... (Click picture to enlarge)

"A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanged, it is the skin of a living thought and may vary greatly in color and content according to the circumstances and the time in which it is used" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes (American Physician, Poet, Writer, Humorist and Professor at Harvard, 1809-1894)

Through the looking glass and back in time, a slow saunter through Colonial Williamsburg is always an experience. The wavy glass tells me this is original with small air bubbles the norm rather than the exception. Many of the homes have typical shutters.... on the outside; but this one... shutters on the inside.


Antique crystal.....

Here the delicate pink crystal, seen through the hutch doors is another example of history, another century, another time. This crystal is my mother's wedding set.... almost 58 years old now. It is extremely delicate, just a misplaced tap will shatter these! The plates are my china... a gift from my grandmother and I do believe they have just a touch of pink as well. I love the way the lighting makes the glass sparkle and glow in the dim light of the evening.

Carmi's theme for this week is "transparent" and you can see other examples here. Oh, I just remembered! My previous post has a curious picture that also is a prime example of the theme......

(end of post)

No comments: