Thursday, July 05, 2007

Rugs And Carpets: Nature's Mix

"Beware of people who fall at your feet. They may be reaching for the corner of the rug." ~ Bill Cosby (1937 - )
I have promised pictures of the rugs I bought for the house. Stephen will slowly replace these cheap versions with the real thing eventually. Nyssa said she would take them when he did. Smart girl, already planning on her move to Florida or Oklahoma or wherever, after graduation. This is the formal dining room and a 9 x 12 foot rug. It could have handled a 10 x 13 rug but this will do. When my furniture is ransomed next week, the oak dining set will go here along with my hutch that has glassed in shelves. Mom's set is cherry and very nice but has an Early American style and the shelves of the hutch are open and won't keep her glassware as nice.

This is a close view of the dining room rug with its tans, black and ecru patterns. In addition to my furniture, we will put my grandmothers huge mahogany hutch on one wall. It also has glassed in shelves and Mom keeps a lot of her antique glass in it.

This is the formal living room. The rug here is 10 x 13 feet. My den furniture will go here. It has been so long since I've seen it, I forgot if it was a solid color burgundy with a very tiny beige print or large floral pattern. I think it is solid and hopefully it will go with this. The set includes a sleeper sofa, love seat, easy chair with ottoman and two end tables. There is also a large square coffee table/footrest for the middle. I sold my formal living room furniture when I moved from Mississippi and Mom has a small love seat and one chair of my grandmother's that will go in the sitting area of the master bedroom... their room.

This is the formal living area from the opposite direction and the light is absolutely marvelous! The green area outside is the nature preserve land behind the house... hopefully a bluebird nesting box will go on the fence we have planned. (just waiting the home owners association approval)

Speaking of green and grass.....
"To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug." ~ Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)
I might have agreed with Hellen Keller until this afternoon. I decided it was time for the first "mowing of the lawn"... the wild grass mixed among the sod was growing faster than the grass and I had already carted the mower out there. So, I started in.... the lot doesn't look that big actually and I thought... "how hard can it be?" Do you know how long it has been since I mowed grass? Let's just say that I traded my lawn mower for lawn service in Oklahoma, back in 1989 and I didn't buy one when I moved to Mississippi and for 15 years in Mississippi someone else did my lawn. One year I gave my dad a years worth of lawn service for Father's Day and he liked it so much he kept on. So it has been a long, long, long, long time!
"I always thought a yard was three feet, then I started mowing the lawn." ~ C.E. Cowman
It isn't so much the walking and the lawn mower has a front drive pulling mechanism so you don't have to push; it's the vibration in your hands as you hold the lever down to keep the mower going. The fingers go numb and then the hands and then the arms.... a bit like the ascending paralysis of Guillain-Barre Syndrome! Then there is the weed-eater. Weed-eaters and I have a long standing feud. They hate me, I despise them. They love to suddenly throw out ten feet of fishing line at once and then break off and retract the line up inside the mechanism. In Oklahoma I spent two hours trying to weed eat down a flower bed that was no longer than twenty feet. I gave the neighbors quite a show, which culminated in me destroying the monster by beating it to death on the ground. That was the last day I mowed my own lawn..... until today!

Stephen! Do you remember when you said one of the first orders of business was to get a small riding lawn mower for Dad and I said that the lot wasn't that big and it would be unnecessary? Well.... It is entirely possible that I was wrong! I'll let you know if my fingers regain feeling by tomorrow and if my legs are still working.

(end of post)

No comments: