Thursday, June 02, 2005

Happy 54th Anniversary


June 2, 1951 - Wedding Day

Today is the 54th wedding anniversary of my parents, Loren and Lorane. They met in college and were the country boy/city girl couple. My dad was backward and shy while mom was outgoing and involved in groups on campus. Somehow, they fell in love and are still in love. Yes, things have changed over the years. Two kids, multiple churches to pastor, one grandchild, one new hip, one new shoulder, diabetes, atrial fibrillation.....much is different. But they have truly kept the vows they took long ago...for richer or poorer, sickness, health and they have been an example to all they came in contact with.

Four years ago we had a 50th Anniversary party and my mom thought no one would come. We sent out more invitations than I did to my wedding, over 350. So many responded that we had to change the church venue to accommodate them. Over 275 people came to see them renew their vows, hear the tape of them taking their original vows, see them celebrate with family and renew friendships. People came from Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, California, Illinois, Indiana and Mississippi. My brother, the opera singer, sang all the musical numbers from their wedding and all of my mom's bridesmaids were there with her again. We were even able to have a bakery duplicate their cake. It was remarkable to see how many people thought so much of them that they wanted to share the day. They had a wonderful time. It was worth it to see them both so happy.

Now, four years later they are still going strong. Dad still sees her as the girl who knocked his socks off and made him stammer when she smiled. She still worries when he tries to climb a ladder or putters too long in the yard. She tells him how to cook, he tries, they fuss; I stay out of the kitchen when they are doing this tandem baking. The conversations at the dinner table are sometimes difficult to follow. As my brother puts it, "It seems that four people are talking together with some semblance of order, but no one is on the same topic." Mom and I get the giggles when dad says the blessing and asks God to "bless our dear departed loved ones". He's not referring to those who have passed away, but to Nyssa at college and my brother in Europe. They are both a little slower. I worry about their driving at times and I know it irritates them not to be able to do things they once could, but this year has shown improvement in their overall health. For that I am grateful.
If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand.
- Unknown

Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith "A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!" - Robert Browning, Autumn Crocus: Growing Old

Lorane & Loren, 2005. Posted by Hello

No comments: