Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Another Light Show


Virginia Beach gets rain and a lightning show.
(Click picture for larger image)
Posted by Picasa
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does all the work" ~ Mark Twain (American Humorist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)
I was lucky again (with the camera that is)and caught this flash of lightning with the old CoolPix 995. We had rain. It has piddled rain a little here and there but this was rain for about an hour and a half. It actually had some blowing wind with it and a nice lightning and thunder show. Today it is cooler, at least for right now. So much to do, so little time.

Here is where I would say that the picture is my submission for Lens Day, but the subject is "tropical" and unless I can think of something hereabouts that is tropical to photograph I will have to resort to a picture of our encounter with Hurricane Charley (a tropical storm when it went over Virginia Beach).

Update 8/24/05: Of course the day after this was posted, I found that this next week's Thursday Challenge is to be "weather". This is my best lightning shot. I do have one more recent but the flash was so bright the picture is a white sky and dark trees; the multi-forked streaks across the entire sky were wiped out. Needless to say, I decided to go inside after that. I may be crazy but I'm not dumb. I know there are professionals and others out there with great cameras and tripods and cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean that have some awesome lightning shots; this is not one of them but I like it.
"A poet is a man who manages, in a lifetime of standing out in thunderstorms, to be struck by lightning five or six times".
~ Randall Jarrell (American poet, 1914-1965)
Sometimes it's good NOT to be a poet. (end of post)

No comments: