Saturday, December 02, 2006

December Lights

PSHunt



Christmas lights, color for December nights.
(Click picture for larger view)
Posted by Picasa
"After Christmas, a good place to store your Christmas lights is in your heart." ~ Unknown
I've always loved to drive around at Christmas time and see the lights and decorations. The first Christmas Nyssa and I were on our own in Oklahoma, I was determined to put the lights on the house as usual. I used white lights and fresh green garland over the outside beams of the entryway and the effect was a fairyland, quiet and serene. It had been a horrible year and we needed a fairyland to escape to. Of course she was not yet two so her need was not as great as mine. Parts of a ham radio tower remained next to the house so getting on the roof was easy. I carefully attached the lights to the edge of the roof and one by one they lit the evening. As I prepared one tangled string, a little boy of seven or eight rode by on his bike and stopped right in front of the house. He watched for a bit, then yelled up at me... "Hey! Lady! Are you a MOM!?" I told him that yes, I was and he rode off. I supposed he never saw a mom climbing around on a roof before.

Through the years we have dressed our home inside and out with lights; clear, colored, mixed. Somehow, no matter what type of lights we have, it still brings me into that safe fairyland of serenity. Putting them up isn't fun; taking them down isn't fun either; but seeing them shine out against the night is priceless.

The theme for Saturday Photo Scavenger Hunt this week is "light(s)". You can go here to "Grab the Scavenger Hunt code" and here to join the blogroll. The link to other participants is in my blogroll on the sidebar.

(end of post)

No comments: