Monday, May 07, 2007

Five Star Flower


Flower of the Malvaceae or Mallow family. Macro.
(Click picture for larger view)
Posted by Picasa
"The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses." ~ Hanna Rion
I haven't planted the wildflower seed yet, so this is from last year's batch. A member of the Mallow family, this flower is a distant relative of the hibiscus, hollyhock, even cotton and comes in many varieties. My batch of seed had this deep rose pink and a pure white variety included. Five petals surrounded by five sepals; these together form the stained glass appearance of the five pointed star deep in the flower. The stamens are fused together forming a small column but retains a five point asterisk shape. I love the color, the green is so deep and bright and the modified leaves (bracts) with small spiky hairs are heart shaped. I'll plant my wildflowers this week... I wonder what will show up in the new mix.

Submission for MacroDay topic "five". (end of post)

No comments: