Thursday, April 20, 2006

Valuable


Friendship. A valuable relationship. (Nyssa and Margaret, 2005) Posted by Picasa
"If out of all mankind one finds a single friend, he has found something more precious than any treasure, since there is nothing in the world so valuable that it can be compared to a real friend." ~ Andreas Capellanus
Usually, finding a picture for one of the photo meme topics isn't too difficult; but this week's Thursday's Challenge was just that, a challenge. The topic? All things valuable. The obvious material things such as diamonds, gold, wealth, property, antiques, art and power seem so useless. There are so many less tangible concepts and ideas that are invaluable to me including virtue, faith, human life, family, education, love, reputation, service, kindness, empathy, loyalty, perseverance and freedom. What to choose? (Click "read more" to continue)

I choose "friendship." True friendship isn't easy; ups and downs, warts and blemishes, highs and lows, disagreements and laughter; it is a hodge podge of emotions, events, joy, sorrow and all things in between. Friendship waxes and wanes like the moon, but if true it stands the test of time. Christ showed us the blueprint for "friendship":
"I command you to love each other in the same way that I love you. And here is how to measure it, the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends."
~ John 15:12-13 (New Living Translation)
Wow! That is extreme! I could give my life to save my daughter and my parents would do the same for me, but to be honest, I don't know if I could sacrifice my life for a friend. Sacrifice self-respect, money, time, pleasure and other "things"; I could do, but my life? That is not only friendship but love. I am grateful for earthly friendships but most valuable is the friendship of Christ. Why? Because He created the blueprint of true friendship; He did lay down His life for us, His friends.

Submission for Thursday Challenge topic "valuable". (end of post)


No comments: