Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Stuff Dreams Are Made Of


Can of junk nuts, washers, etc..... (Click picture for larger view) Posted by Picasa
"As a 3rd year medical student I had to present a patient history, physical and lab results to our attending after each admission. Dr. Madison was the most intimidating man and in a flustered moment I became tongue tied and used the term "other stuff" in my presentation. I believe I heard all my cohorts audibly gasp, as Dr. Madison looked up and stared at me over the rims of his reading glasses. "Dr. P", he said, "Stuff and stuffing are things we do to and put inside turkeys, not patients." He spoke quietly, slowly and his words had the desired effect; I could have melted into the floor, disappearing forever and felt more comfortable. Thank goodness I didn't use the synonym 'junk'!!!" ~ srp
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." ~ Thomas A. Edison
Well! If this is true then my dad is half way there! Last year we cleaned out the garage and had a huge garage sale with loads of "stuff" accumulated over at least 25 years, some from 50 years hence. Of course you couldn't tell it now, but that's a bit of everyone's doing. I tried to organize the drawers and shelves. In one hanging cabinet I found tin cans and glass jars filled with bent rusty nails, rusty washers, rusty nuts and bolts and rusty screws. Now, who would use a bent rusty nail to put anything together? His answer was that he might have a job that needed that particular nail and when he did he would hammer it straight. With all the "normal straight and new" nails around I cannot fathom this possibility. So over much protest I sorted his junk and threw a lot away; honestly, I waited until he was worn out and taking an afternoon nap to do it. Still over the span of one year it is beginning to accumulate; more rust, more bent nails and more junk. About that spoon? I have no idea why he saved it, how he came to get it in the first place or what he thinks he will do with it; but I'm sure in the back of his mind somewhere, he has a plan.

Submission for Thursday Challenge topic "stuff". (end of post)

No comments: