Monday, June 22, 2009

Keeping Me Guessing


Columbine bud...keeping me guessing.
(Click pictures to enlarge)

"Wisdom is oftentimes nearer when we stoop than when we soar."
~ William Wordsworth, 1798

Usually I try not to mix too many different memes into one post, but I have quite a bit to do today and if I can squeeze it in, I would love to visit the new butterfly outdoor garden and the indoor butterfly house at our botanical garden here in Norfolk. So, for my Mellow Yellow entry I have this beautiful yellow and white columbine that I just cannot get away from. What is it about this flower that intrigues me so? I haven't yet decided, but it grabs my attention, whether at the local nursery, in my cousin's yard, at the highly groomed and polished botanical gardens or in my own flowerbed. Its angles and curves never fail to surprise and it has that amazing shape that morphs constantly. Some flowers are plain and boring before they open and broadcast their beauty for only a short time, then wilt and die. Columbine, on the other hand, teases the spectator before blooming with its lovely green bud.. and throughout the process.. never gives the full hint of the final product. Columbine keeps you guessing!


..Until the final reveal, yellow and white columbine.

"To analyze the charms of flowers is like dissecting music; it is one of those things which it is far better to enjoy, than to attempt to fully understand." ~ Henry T. Tuckerman

But the final reveal is definitely worth the wait!



Plumbago auriculata,leadwort or skyflower.
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens
Posted by Picasa

"In the hope of reaching the moon men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." ~ Albert Schweitzer

I understand that these are best grown in Florida and perhaps that is why they flourished in the hot houses of the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. It is probably not feasible to yearn for these blooms here in Virginia... but we can hope. I am looking for a lovely vine to train up over a trellis that will attach to the new sunroom addition. My dream is to have wisteria for spring, but also to incorporate something that will give us color for the summer months as well. Who knows? My research is not yet complete.. nor is construction....I can only dream at this point.

So, for Mellow Yellow and Blue Monday as well as Macro Monday... enjoy!

(end of post)




MellowYellowBadge

No comments: