Tuesday, June 02, 2009

A Crown of Crimson


My red-bellied woodpeckers.. (Left) female, (Right) male.
(Click picture to enlarge)
Posted by Picasa

"I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in." ~ George Washington Carver

I have posted about my woodpeckers before, but at the time I only had a picture of the female red-bellied woodpecker. More recently, both the male and female have frequented the feeder more often, although I no longer have suet hanging due to the warm temperatures now. They still love the mixture of peanuts, sunflower seeds, and bits of dried fruit...perhaps they are feeding a nest of young ones somewhere out in the swamp. Do you see the main difference between the male and female? She has a patch of grey on her head, while the red "mohawk" of the male is one long band.

We all know or at least have been told of the nasty nature and behavior of the blue jay... beautiful bird with a chip on its shoulder. But, did you know that this red-bellied woodpecker is a bit of a bully as well? I have seen him take on a blue jay and had to chase him away from the fledgling bluebird he was harassing on our patio. Another beautiful bird with less than the best manners.

My touch of red for Ruby Tuesday this week.

(end of post)

No comments: