Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I Feel Like Part Of The Road

 

 

“Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road.”~ Stewart Brand

I never liked Blogger's commenting because it links the commenter name with the Blogger profile page instead of the person's blog. So I used Haloscan for several years. I was perfectly happy with it and never wanted it to change. But, like home loans being sold from one lending institution to another until you have no idea who is holding your mortgage... so JSKit acquired Haloscan. They ran it as Haloscan for a while... hinted at migrating everyone over to JSKit... kept postponing it and had people waiting for their "invitation" and then.... they suddenly gave a two week notice of shutting down Haloscan. Of course Blogger will not import the old comments from Haloscan, but this new Echo will import the old Blogger comments and actually keep them synched with Blogger. I have no idea what that really means. They also tout all this other stuff... which I still don't know about either. Trackback and pings and such.. so simple with Haloscan, even if you didn't know what you were doing. Not so, Echo gives a code to put in a template to do this but ends up with double "Comments" showing up on posts.

Anyway, my biggest problem is that when someone comments... I cannot find a way to click back to their website to visit. So, please.... (and I think you only have to do this once)... click on the "Login" button to get the pull down window and click on "My site (click to edit). Then add your blog address here. I think this should take care of it. I hope.

Thank you.

(end of post)

6 comments:

Simply Col said...

I admit to being baffled by this at first... but I think I now have the hang of it.   Thanks for this. :)

kenju said...

I hope I did that right. It's a little confusing. Once I clicked the dropdown menu, and clicked on googlefriend - or whatever it is called - it kept looping me back to that login. Please let me know if I did what you wanted.

pathdoc said...

Yes, it looks like it worked.  I have asked them about this.  If there is no web site to click back to it is hard to visit the visitors.

Abby said...

I got a email from Haloscan in Feburary.
I went over read all the instructions, sat for a few minutes, read them all again.
OK.
Still doesn't make sense on what to do.
Then I finally go to Blogger and "update" my blog which I had been holding off on doing for YEARS.
Go back to Haloscan and try to import my comments. Nothing happens.
Go back to blogger and find out that you CAN'T import comments.
So I figure out I'm going to lose all my comments.
I lost 17,000.
I remember I did Haloscan when I first began blogging because Blogger didn't even do comments then.
*sigh*

Abby said...

Ok I think I finally added my website --

Paul Nichols said...

I did. No Login button. I did it from "Add another site."