Saturday, April 10, 2010

Who Thought This Snow Business Was A Good Thing


"Mom's footsteps are too wide for me to walk in..."
(Click pictures to enlarge)

“A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water.” ~ Carl Reiner

We had ten inches of snow the last weekend in January. Snow plows just don't get to the side streets and any cars moving did nothing but pack the snow down and the minimal thawing only resulted in a re-freezing into ice. I saw dogs out frolicking in the white stuff, sinking in snow drifts up to their chests and then leaping up into the air again in pure excitement. Not Daisy. She just stood there. Only after I made tracks down the sidewalk would she follow, trying to place her feet in the holes. The first time I let her out while the snow was still falling, she seemed shocked.... where did the grass go? What is this stuff that sticks to my fur and makes small hanging ice pellets? I'm wet! I'm wet! Getting her to do her business was a battle... no way did she want to get her backside anywhere near that stuff! No, to Daisy this frozen stuff was even worse than rain!

 
"I want to go inside... NOW!" Posted by Picasa

This week Carmi is saying "Good-bye to winter" and Daisy has been trying to do that since January. After three days of almost record high temperatures well into the 90's, a front came through with some rain. The promise of thunderstorms didn't materialize or if it did I slept through it, but at least some rain fell helping the pollen count go down, if only a little. Reports are that the pollen count has been over four times higher than average and I believe it. I was looking at the security camera video watching the spider spin his web right in front of the lens and I noticed tiny flying specks. At first I thought they were small flying insects but they came in streams and reminded me more of the snowflakes blowing in the north wind during that snowstorm. It's pollen... coating everything... even working its way into the wood grain areas of the deck boards. The spiders were not immune... the gossamer webs are now visible... yes, bright yellow.

So, in January we had a 25 year snow and now a 25 year pollen event... go figure.

(end of post)

4 comments:

kenju said...

Poor Daisy. I know just how she feels. I don't want to go out in it either.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Interesting angle on the photos!   I love the snow but it got really really old after the first 45 inches this past winter in Iowa.

young-eclectic-encounters said...

Pollen counts over 120 are considered extremely high.  In Atlanta the count went up to 5000+ almost to 6000 and yes I did get the number of zeros right.  See my blog for some pretty discriptive pics of the pollen by my house.
http://young-eclectic-encounter.blogspot.com

Denise said...

The weather has been amazing this winter.  Cute photos of Daisy walking in the snow.  I don't blame her for not wanting to go out in it.  I'm sure she got lots of loving when she got back inside, and a good old rub down to get those ice-pellets off her fur.