Thursday, April 01, 2010

The Real Thing

Japanese maple... from the inside out.
(Click picture to enlarge)
Posted by Picasa

"Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing." ~ Abraham Lincoln

I want one of these... Stephen does too. But, who knew there were so many different varieties? Some grow slowly and others sprint to the sky, some stay small and others grow large and complex. The colors are all over the place... green, red, golden, maroon. And the leaf pattern ranges from typical maple shape to fine fronds delicately waving in the breeze. So many to choose from....

A little news... my brother, Stephen is in New York in rehearsals for his debut at the Metropolitan Opera. Hopefully he can get down here for at least a couple of days. The opera? Der fliegende Holländer...The Flying Dutchman.

Carmi's theme for the week is "trees".
(end of post)

7 comments:

young-eclectic-encounters said...

Stunning photo of the Japanese maple.  I too love Japanese maples and am astonished at the variety of trees and prices.  This summer I am going to try to start one from a seed.   I like your perspective, I take tree photos from the inside out quite often.  I find it gives the trees an entirely different character when viewed that way.

kenju said...

Those tres, no matter the variety, are gorgeous!! I like the deep red-leafed ones, almost burgundy. That photo is lovely.

g said...

Oh, how beautiful! You've really captured the delicacy and translucence of those wonderful leaves. I love the way some are shadowing others.

Great interpretation of the theme.

Carmi said...

This...is masterful. I'm so thrilled for your brother. What a gifted artist, and how incredible his journey is. And that you share it with us!

Karen said...

How wonderful for Stephen! A debut at the Met! 

Happy Easter to you and your family, Roxanne.

Clew said...

Hiya!  Just visiting from Lori's blog.  I enjoyed seeing your photographs!

I used to work at a landscaping company while working my way through college.  You probably know this, but Japanese maples tend extremely brittle.  I've seen them break at the trunk while being planted even.

If it matters to you.  :)

colleen said...

I read about Carmi's theme on the same day I was interviewing a man who teaches tree climbing and sleeps in trees. Of course I took pictures but haven't had a chance to post them yet. 

Good luck to your brother!  http://looseleafnotes.com