Sunday, April 25, 2010

One Thing Leads To Another


Just one more from our house......
(Click to enlarge)

"If one daffodil is worth a thousand pleasures, then one is too few." ~ William Wordsworth

I know the time for daffodils is past... nothing left but the tall, thin and extremely gangly leaves that are so unsightly. I want to hide them somehow, but to preserve the bulbs for next year we must leave them alone. The first picture is one of my daffodils and the second is from the Norfolk Botanical Garden. They always have so many different varieties and colors, some double and all different shades of yellow, pink, peach, white and orange. Someday I am going to get over my fear of planting the bulbs too soon and finally plant them on time so that I have enough daffodil and tulips to make a cut bouquet... although never as pretty as Judy does.

Yesterday, I cleaned the garage... all day... but it is really, really clean. Today, I had several plants to get out of the pots and into the ground before the rains come. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, Monday and part of Tuesday and this way I won't have to water. My work gloves gave out... the seam just split wide open and I finally took them off. It is much more fun to dig in the soil with bare hands. It only rained on me once and for just a few minutes. I tried to plan these flowerbeds but they are really becoming a mix and match haven for birds and butterflies. I grew butterfly weed from seed and planted about 20 tiny seedlings in various areas. I also planted a candy apple red black-eyed Susan, a scarlet dianthus, Coreopsis Moonbeam, lamb's ears and three begonias that I first put in a large pot and then put the pot in the ground. I figure I will take it out of the ground and inside for the winter next fall. Some lavender, stonecrop, sedum, blanket flower, blue fescue and one lenten rose went in the ground. So far everything is growing well. I did start some seed but my labeling was not the best in the world and I have them a bit mixed up. In the one flat I started the black-eyed Susan, a blanket flower and a white swan coneflower... so... I am just going to transfer them to a large flat pot and see what happens. Perhaps I will be better able to tell them apart when they are just a little bit bigger.


Norfolk Botanical Garden..... Posted by Picasa

So, daffodils for Mellow Yellow Monday... just one more time... I promise... well, until next year!

(end of post)

MellowYellowBadge

15 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh, that is so beautiful.  How do you get the black background behind the flower?

Rose said...

Gorgeous!

Family Portrait

carolynUSA said...

Very impressive macro!

Marites said...

very beautiful! I envy you with your green thumb. have a good week ahead!

My MYM is here.

Liz @ MLC said...

Oh wow, great macro shots.

Happy MYM!

Mine is here.

Dinah said...

these are very beautiful flowers! lovely!

ilovepink said...

<p><span>I love theses flowers! Usually find it bride’s bouquet</span>
</p><p><span></span></p>

Maria said...

Great shot. I love this flowers :)

kenju said...

My first comment disappeared, I think.

YOur photos are so fabulous. Thanks for the compliment, but I think your arrangements are the kind I like best - simple.

ann chin said...

I like daffodil,especially after a dreary winter.      

pathdoc said...

Well, at my house the flowers have the brick wall as the background and this is most often in the shade so it is darker.  At the garden, most of the time the green background is darker and I just use Viveza2, a program that helps change the lighting just a little bit to enhance what is already there. :)

mizhelle said...

wow! those are great shots!

u may view mine here

colleen said...

A mandala to meditate on!  http://looseleafnotes.com

Vicki said...

I love reading about your gardening efforts- it's as though last year was the year of construction and this one is the year of making it home sweet home. Your daffodils are beautiful! I was delighted to count 8 different varieties at the Asheville house when I was last there- something to watch for next Spring. 

Puss in Boots said...

Oh, another cleaning out the garage...it's happening here, too and it's not spring but autumn.  That's what happens when you love upside down on the planet!

I'm sure you're garden will be very colouful, no matter what seedlings are where.  I like them all mixed up.

Have fun with it all, anyway.