Friday, June 23, 2006

Ninety-two Years Young


Mr. G: Ninety -two years young. (Click picture for larger view) Posted by Picasa
"Age does not depend upon years, but upon temperament and health. Some men are born old, and some never grow so." ~ Tryon Edwards (American Theologian, 1809-1894)
Two weeks ago I took my parents back to Roanoke where 50 years ago they pastored a fledgling church. Mr. G became a member there when I was just a very small child and is still an active member. He is 92 years young. And what a life! He has been an English teacher, insurance salesman, employee of JC Penney, among other jobs through the years. He is a published author of his autobiography, has built his own home in Roanoke and sings in the church choir and with a men's quartet. He remembers stories about me that my parents have forgotten. (I'm not sure if this last item is a good thing or not.) There is still a spring in his step, a glint in his eye and a spry sharpness to his mind. If I could be as nimble in mind and body as he is, I wouldn't mind living to be 100.

Submission for PhotoFriday topic "health". (end of post)

No comments: