"It is the heart that makes a man rich. He is rich according to what he is, not according to what he has." ~ Henry Ward BeecherNever-Fail Pound Cake
1 pound butter
4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups sugar
- Cream butter in large mixing bowl of electric mixer.
- Gradually add flour, salt and vanilla to the creamed butter.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the eggs with baking powder and gradually stir in the sugar.
- Pour egg mixture into the large bowl containing the butter-flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a tube pan with the bottom greased but not the sides.
- Bake at 325 degrees for one hour, then reduce the heat and bake at 250 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before removing from pan.
Apparently, what makes this different from many pound cake recipes is the way the ingredients are mixed together. Most often eggs are creamed together with the butter and sugar and the flour is added last. Not here. This is truly a rich pound cake with a pound of butter, almost a pound of eggs and sugar as well. It will make a fabulous base for strawberries and whipped cream and would be lovely with a drizzle of lemon curd as well. In fact, go wild and add other flavors such as lemon or almond or walnut.... see what happens!
Submission for Moody Monday topic "rich". (end of post)