Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Colonial Christmas: Flowers


Wreaths decorated primarily with flowers (Click any picture to see larger view) Posted by Picasa
"Until one feels the spirit of Christmas, there is no Christmas. All else is outward display-so much tinsel and decorations. For it isn't the holly, it isn't the snow. It isn't the tree not the firelight's glow. It's the warmth that comes to the hearts of men when the Christmas spirit returns again." ~ Anonymous
The wreath above is very interesting. The outermost ring is made up of a layer of dried magnolia leaves topped off with a ring of seed pods. I believe these are collected on site as there are trees lining the grand grassy mall that have these long seedpods hanging off the branches. The next layer is made with dried red chili peppers. Then the center ring of mixed dried flowers, the most obvious being sunflowers. I think this one is unique and beautiful.

(To continue click "read more" below)
This wreath started with a simple ring of pine greenery. A second smaller wreath of compact dried flowers was added. I'm not sure what the three large tan objects with a maroon center are, although the sides look a bit like artichoke. Perhaps some type of dried flower was attached to artichokes for this purpose. I love the mixture of vibrant orange, pastel yellow, fuschia pink and ivory flowers. A few dried orange slices are included and the rounded beige objects with an almost fluted end are poppy pods. The radially placed cinnamon sticks finish off this wreath nicely.



I'm sorry this one is a little out of focus as is the next. It was very cold that day and my camera wanted to go in where it was warm, so it tried to revolt several times. I thought this wreath screamed "I'm a breath of spring in the middle of winter!" The greenery is a mixture of pine and sprig of boxwood. The asymmetrical placement of the dried flower bunch was very dramatic. I'm not sure what the purple flower is (Judy has been so kind to help me out with these. It's nice to know a florist on the net.) but the reds, pinks, and fuschias mix nicely with it. The rounded flowers of different size are dried clover in different shades of pink.



Finally, for the flower group we have this entry. A pine cone and greenery wreath with poppy seed pods and a bright red dried flower. I believe the objects mixed with the flowers are either apples or pomegranate. This greenery is not pine but some other type of waxy evergreen. This series has made me wish I had paid more attention in Botany all those years ago. I am going to have to double up on the entries if we get to the end by Friday. But I am saving my favorite for last, so don't go away. (end of post)

No comments: