Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Let Heaven and Nature Sing


Nature sings. (Click picture for larger view) Posted by Picasa
"Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven, and Heaven, and nature sing."
~ Isaac Watts (1674 - 1748)
Isaac Watts wrote over 500 hymns, most between the ages of 20 - 22. Joy to the World is one of his Christmas Hymns that everyone knows and loves. The autumn trees that line the banks of this small waterway in Williamsburg literally "sing" with color; "Let heaven and nature sing!" indeed.

Another hymn by Isaac Watts that comes to mind when I look at all the wonders and variety of nature is a verse from When I Survey The Wondrous Cross. We usually sing this at Easter but it puts my gratitude to God in words far more eloquent than I could ever muster.
"Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all."
~ Isaac Watts
Submission for LensDay topic "nature". (end of post)

No comments: