Monday, April 24, 2006

20 Years Ago Today - April 24, 1986


This is what I was doing 20 years ago today.
(You don't need to click the picture, it doesn't get any better)
Posted by Picasa
"She discovered with great delight that one does not love one's children just because they are one's children but because of the friendship formed while raising them." ~ Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Guess what I did twenty years ago today! Yes, she is there in that little bundle in my lap. We are quite a pair! Nyssa, just a few hours old and me, a few hours post C-section.

My child is smart, talented and good-hearted; many things come easily for her. "Birth" was not one of these things. After two days of induction with no results, my doc and I talked and decided not to do this any more. So after office hours an elective C-section was planned. I tried to tell everyone what to do. (docs always try to do this, it's the control freak in us) There were too many doctors in the delivery room: two OB, one anesthesiologist, one pediatrician, and me. Yes, one PhD (the dad). Too many nurses and additional docs looking in the window.

As her head appeared, I heard Dr. C say, "Cord around the neck times two" and immediately knew God had been taking care of Nyssa. If things had progressed during induction the c-section would have been an emergency rather than elective. As it was, she was screaming before her 7lb. 14 oz body was completely delivered. A round head full of medium brown hair and tightly closed fists, she was fully pink before even getting to the pediatrician. She had been warm, comfortably sleepy and suddenly disturbed; she was angry and let all of us know it.

It has been 20 years, but I remember all the details. I remember the brightly painted labor room with the poster of a cute puppy stuck in a bowl of spaghetti and the words "Some things are easier to get into than out of." No joke. I remember the little pink t-shirt that read "I'm a Deaconess Angel" and how relaxed she looked under the bili lights, like it was just another day at the beach. I remember how she slept by my hospital bed and how her eyes were wide open taking the world in minutes after being born. It must be a mother thing, taking every detail in, saving them to have when your child is grown. Adding to the memories every day, every milestone, birthdays, events, daily happenings. I remember looking into those deep blue eyes and feeling that grip around my finger and knowing immediately that I loved this strange creature more than my life.

Now, 20 years later, that feeling hasn't changed.
Happy Birthday Nyssa; my baby, my child, my lovely young lady, and now, my friend.


Sleeping baby Nyssa, just a few hours old. 4/24/1986

The Moody Monday topic is "mushy". I feel mushy. This qualifies.
(end of post)

No comments: