Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Portrait In Innocence


Bathtime portrait. 1987. 35mm film. (Click picture for larger view) Posted by Picasa
"The countenance is the portrait of the soul, and the eyes mark its intentions." (Latin. Imago animi vultus est, indices oculi.)
~ Cicero (106 B.C. - 43 B.C.)
I remember this face; these big, round, open eyes and that intense determination in the set jaw. This is the face before words get in the way; while communication was still a puzzle and needs were simple. Even now, although the face is thinner, the jaw reshaped with braces and the ears less elf-like; much remains the same. That firm determined look and that steady gaze are still present. Now we have words, but communication is still often a puzzle. I loved this face from the moment I first saw it; all puffy from nine months in hibernation. I love this face now. And more, I love the soul behind these eyes.

Submission for LensDay topic "portrait". (end of post)

No comments: