Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Quick Note

Just a quick note to those who visit regularly:
Sometimes I think my posts are too long for the home page; so with my minimal skills I added and expanded post feature. Clicking the "Read more" with the arrow sends you to the full post. It would be nice if the "read more" was only visible on those posts that needed it. Alas, it appears on all of them whether long, short or in between. I don't know how to fix this although I am pretty sure it can be done. So, right now I try to add "(end of post)" at the very end. If you see this on the main page, there is no need to go to the permalink. If you don't there will be more to the story and probably more pictures on the next page. Just didn't want anyone to miss the punch line or the crazy picture on page 2.

As to this picture, it has nothing to do with this post. This was taken in Roanoke, Virginia in December of 1958. I was about to turn six in January, 1959 and was half-way through the first grade at Northcross School in Salem. This is a pre-tonsillectomy photo with a bit of the skinny under-nourished look. As I look at it online, I see a "Where's Waldo" type of object. Sitting on the front porch of the house is the milk delivery box. Yes, the dairy delivered milk to our front door back in 1958. Yoder's Dairy here in Virginia Beach still delivers milk, eggs and other dairy items. We don't have that service but I see similar boxes occasionally on other porches.

Finally, a P.S. of sorts. Recently, Paul at Writing from the Hip posted his 101 Most Beautiful Words. I added a couple of my own in a comment, including "serenity" and "superfluous". I like the feeling of the first and the sound of the second as it rolls off the tongue. The word "alas" has crept into my vocabulary more often as well. I think it might have something to do with the way Richard Harris as Professor Dumbledore says it in the first Harry Potter movie. Then again, perhaps it is just my imagination.

Note: (end of post)

No comments: