Monday, May 15, 2006

I'm Just Here For The Rug


Moving Out Posted by Picasa
"Having children is like having a bowling alley installed in your brain." ~ Alan Bleasdale
The girl is back, at least for a week before the summer blur begins. I drove up to help bring her stuff home for the nineteen days before the summer session. Maybe it was a sustained senior moment, but I had convinced myself that I was going to get the rug and the bicycle, which I knew wouldn't fit in her Civic. Last fall the van was full, but her room was so small, I brought at least a third of it back here. The pins in my brain were obviously scrambled.

As I turned the corner of her hallway I saw black garbage bags, pedestal fans, dehumidifier, stacked boxes, plastic containers, plastic crates, laundry basket, bookshelf, refrigerator, microwave, suitcases, and a huge bag for actual trash. Surely this isn't all hers. OH! BUT IT WAS! The trips up and down the stairs began. Did I mention she lived on the second floor and the lone elevator probably broke fifteen years ago? The rug? Well, until other crates and boxes were moved, we couldn't get to the rug. My thoughts of "rug and bicycle" quickly turned to "why didn't I take these middle seats out of the van" and "how did this stuff fit in that small room and how is it going to fit in the van?"

Even with the fabulous help of her roommate and friends, the steps up and down seemed endless to my exercise deprived legs. We did get everything in her car and the van, but keeping a little space to see out the back was a real trick. No extra room fees, although I thought that final room check concept a little ridiculous. The dorm she inhabited (I use this term loosely) is being closed probably to be renovated and turned into something else. Before becoming the Dillard Complex dorms these were part of the state mental hospital so I think it would be safe to say that as of this morning, May 15th, all the INMATES in Hughes and Munsford Halls have been "sprung".

Now the STUFF is here. Now we sort. Now the piles start. Four piles: Storage for fall, Storage not to go back in fall, Summer session, Hawaii trip. STUFF EVERYWHERE!!

Submission for Moody Monday topic "boring". The picture is boring, the experience was not. (end of post)

No comments: