Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My Family


My family, acting goofy. (Click picture for larger view) Posted by Picasa
"A family is a unit composed not only of children but of men, women, an occasional animal, and the common cold." ~ Ogden Nash
This is my family in a goofy mood. Oh, yes; and we have a few more than the occasional animals. They don't do group photos very well.

(L. to R.) My brother: opera singer in Europe, currently in Bayreuth rehearsing for this summer's Wagner festival. This year he stars in a new production of Wagner's Ring Cycle. And he is still single and 6'5" tall. My mom: Retired school teacher, knitter, accomplished pianist, the baker of forbidden bread, the tendency to sneak food not allowed with her diabetes, reads cookbooks like novels. I don't trust her driving; her motto: "Don't worry, that car will stop and let us in." Next is the daughter, Nyssa: almost a junior at The College of William and Mary, bubbly, outgoing, smart, animal lover, good friend, loving daughter, granddaughter and niece; celebrated her 20th birthday by playing outside in a thunderstorm, splashing in and doing a makeshift "Slip 'n Slide" into mud puddles. Did I say she was smart? Last but not least, my dad: retired minister, retired farm boy with three brothers and one baby sister, calls me "sister", the eternal optimist, married to my mom for 55 years this June, atrial fibrillation, tires easily but still piddles around the house, especially to please Mom.

Oh, yes. They don't always look this goofy. Sometimes they're worse!!! But I love them.

Submission for Thursday Challenge topic "family". (end of post)

No comments: