Saturday, February 04, 2006

Figures of the Past


Rain on my windshield. (Click picture for larger view) Posted by Picasa
"The figures of the past go cloaked.
They walk in mist and rain and snow
And go, go slowly, but they go."
~ Wallace Stevens (1879-1955), U.S. poet. "Poesie Abrutie."
I thought this quote really summarized the feelings of that rainy day in 2004. The figures of my past were walking in the rain, slowly going, going, gone. Before I left Mississippi for the last time I visited all the places that were important parts of my history. While there I replayed the memories like home movies in my mind. It was a dark, gray November day with rain and drizzle; a perfect match to my mood. As I drove under this railway trestle I wondered how many times I had taken this route in fifteen years and it finally hit home; I might never pass this way again.

Submission for PXITE topic "rain". (end of post)

No comments: