Saturday, January 06, 2007

I'm Not Dead....


...I just crossed the path of a black cat!!
(Click pictures for larger view)
Posted by Picasa
"A computer and a cat are somewhat alike; they both purr, and like to be stroked, and spend a lot of the day motionless. They also have secrets they don't necessarily share." ~ John Updike
"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer." ~ Anonymous
Twenty-four hours ago I sat down to compose my Friday's Ark post and what to my wondering eyes should appear but the message...... "Server cannot be found." What? Called Verizon. "There is an outage in the Churchland, Virginia area. Try again in an hour or so." This went on and on and on and on. All night, all day! Finally, no message posted on the tech support number, but when the "real" (yes, a real person) came on the line, he proceeded to tell me that the server was fine, it had to be the wireless router.... then mumbled something about "bridging" and "loss of setting" and "must transfer to Linksys." Great! While on perpetual hold.... I gathered network folders, previous instructions I had received and checked out some of the setup areas for our router. After being on hold for an hour.... I decided to see what changing the password did. Suddenly I'm connected, the router is working, everyone can get back on the internet and I have no idea what I really did. You see, I put the same password in as was in to begin with.... Anyway... here I am again. No, I didn't die, not sick, didn't go out of town, or run out of pictures; just a major computer glitch. And I learned how dependent we have become on this thing.... no eBay or e-mail for mom; no instant messages or cherry pie recipes for Nyssa; and I have multiple posts to catch up on! So I better get going!


The original is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY.
George Caleb Bingham (1811–1879)
Fur Traders Descending the Missouri, 1845
Oil on canvas

(end of post)

No comments: