Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Arrows Point The Way To A Twisted Tangent


Arrows, pointing the way. (Click picture for larger view) Posted by Picasa
"Not I, not I, but the wind that blows through me!
A fine wind is blowing the new direction of Time." ~ D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930), Song of a Man Who Has Come Through
The arrows show which way to go, turn left on green or a U-turn. Not straight ahead, full steam; but a new direction. Not just one, but three; showing the way, directing, demanding... "Go this way!" Do I detect a sense of urgency?

Perhaps, but the prankster inside me can't resist making a twisting turn; taking another direction....completely. Yes, I did it. I was the culprit. Yes, I took a jar full of tiny sleeping insects with red and white eyes, hundreds of them, from the Genetics lab. Yes, I carefully removed the cork lid and placed their open glass cradle among mounds of tissue paper in a shoe box. Yes, I wrapped that box with brightly colored wrapping paper and tied a large beautiful bow on top. And yes, I left it on the desk, in the office of my college Physics professor.... Anonymously! And yes, it brought my heart great joy to see them awake, flitting around with their long or short wings, in every corner of the Physics department, enjoying those bananas that seemed to be the favorite food of someone there. Sometimes you just gotta love those fruit flies.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." ~ Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
This tangent was posted especially for Vicki who has had her own fruit fly fiascoes.

The picture is posted for Tuesdays Photos topic "arrow". (end of post)

No comments: