Thursday, February 22, 2007

Fast Track Through The Tunnel


Through the Hampton Roads Bay Bridge Tunnel at 55mph.
(Click picture for larger view)
Posted by Picasa
"Moving fast is not the same as going somewhere." ~ Dr. Robert Anthony (1916 - ) "Think, Think On and Think Again"
OK, you can stop shaking your head and wagging your pointer finger at me; NO, I wasn't driving... this time. We were in Nyssa's little Civic, so all I had to do was look for picture opportunities. The Hampton Roads Bay Bridge Tunnel is the main route to take from Norfolk and Virginia Beach to Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg and areas farther north and west. It still freaks me out a bit just to think of the depth and weight of the water on top of that tunnel and quite weird to see a large ocean going vessel in the process of moving up the channel, just before taking the plunge into that black tunnel entrance. It really isn't dark in there with all the fluorescent lights along the ceiling and the sides... and the walkway. Yes, there is a walkway to one side. The speed limit is 55, but most folks are doing 60. The only rule? DON'T CHANGE LANES IN THE TUNNEL!!! I'm always leery of the big 18-wheelers and confess to feeling a bit claustrophobic if brake lights flash on ahead of me; but all in all it's not a bad ride through. Of course we've never had to sit stopped at the very bottom for ten minutes and watch the little trickle of water on the wall and start thinking about the story of the little Dutch boy either. My favorite time of day to "ride" the tunnel is between 1-3 AM. The roads are almost empty and more often than not I am the only one in the tunnel and that means... I can drive down the middle!

Submission for Thursday Challenge topic "fast". (end of post)

No comments: